Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Nov 2013 05:39:59 -0500
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: replacing window glass seals

Small diameter, very strong, nylon cord is the best. Use Krown Rust proofing oil or similar on the seal and on the frame, goes in very easy and the Krown keeps the rubber soft and combats rust if any defects in the painted surface. The two centre windows are the hardest ones to remove as they are a tighter fit than the others due to the aluminum frame around the glass. The hole was made for plain glass and Westfalia force fitted the aluminum framed windows into the same hole without modification of the opening.

On Nov 20, 2013, at 12:00 AM, Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote:

> Check around, maybe on The Samba, or maybe someone else here will chime in.= > Someone did suggest using parachute cord, I was using just plain nylon rop= > e, which is what I'd always used on the others. I've tried using both soapy= > water and talcum powder, the powder being the messiest of the two. Hell, m= > aybe I put on an '84 or earlier door, which has a bigger window opening! Th= > at was the reason for replacing the glass/seal, I had a very dented sliding= > door that I replaced with one from a junkyard. Jeff Stewart

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale) Frank Condelli & Associates - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 05 ~ 08, 2014