Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Nov 2013 10:49:54 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: replacing window glass seals
Comments: To: Brett Ne <brettn777@GMAIL.COM>

They are absolutely correct to hold you liable for glass broken in shipment. They are ordering the glass for you and it would be no different than you ordering the glass to bring in-to their shop. With glass that's stocked & trucked from a local warehouse, the warehouse has already factored breakage into the cost.

As far as windows in general - most glass shops have forgotten how to set a glass windshield in a rubber gasket. Everything is set in liquid silicone since Chrysler came up with the idea in the early 80s. You might get lucky and find a glass shop with a "old guy" willing to do the job & an owner willing to take the risk. An alternative is to see if any body shops in your area restore older cars. They will know someone who installs windshields.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.grow-sun.com www.raspberryproject.com

I found two windows with leaky seals this summer, the rear hatch and the sliding door windows. So I planned on getting those replaced before the rainy season set in and stop the rust before it goes any further. In my last orders from GoWesty and VanCafe I got German window seals. I figured I was all set. After all, I had the front windshield replaced this summer(after a softball sized rock was hurtled into by a passing cement truck) and it only ran $250 or so. Pop a couple panes out, perhaps a bit of sanding and primer to slow down any rust that may be starting, and then pop the panes back in using some fresh, squishy German rubber. Should be pretty easy, should be pretty quick, should be pretty inexpensive. I was floored at what they told me:

*about $200 per window for labor *I am liable for replacing the windows if they get broken in the process *there are no replacement windows in their warehouses *they could order them from someplace in California *they would run around $300 each *crating them would run another $200 or so *crating does not include shipping costs *aaaaand, here's the kicker: if the windows get broken in shipment, I'm liable

Okay, so I try to recompose myself and start thinking "okay, she's just trying to prepare me for the worst case scenario...what's the probability of them breaking a pane while replacing the seal...maybe 10-15%? Not very likely." So I asked them: What's the likelihood of a window getting broken during replacement?:

*about 50-50

WTF?????

Some of my prices are off a bit...they were so unexpectedly high that they really didn't sink in. I get that side & back windows are probably much more expensive than front windshields since they seldom get broken and don't gain the cost reductions afforded front windshields through large volume production. But is the breakage rate for replacing seals really anywhere near 50%?? Or do they have the Three Stooges working for them? (whoo boy, just showed my age there!) And I would be liable if they get broken during shipment?? After paying a pretty steep crating fee??

I am still stunned. We've had two broken windshields replaced by them with good service & reasonably priced, so I was kinda figuring I'd be paying oh, say, 80-150 bucks... maybe more if more than a minor bit of rust is found. But $400 is the best case scenario and could quite possibly reach $1,000 or more.

Uhmmmm...I'm fairly new to the Vanagon world, is this typical for window seal replacements?

-- Brett in Portland, OR "Albert" '82 VanFox I4 Riviera