Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Nov 2013 10:53:00 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: High beams not working-lighting upgrades!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

I recently helped a friend install new headlights on his bus. During install, had a quick look at things. The owner mentioned that one headlight was angled poorly. I saw that an adjuster was out of adjustment.

I know it's easy to mistakenly think that an adjuster screw is part of what holds the headlight in place and in doing so, misadjust the headlight. BTDT !

It wasn't too hard to ball park the headlight back to the previous position as the corroded and uncorroded portion of the adjuster screw was easy to see.

Just a heads up to take time to find the correct (3) screws that hold the headlight retaining ring on. The retaining and adjuster screws are all Phillips heads but the latter has a larger head and IIRC, has more of a flat criss cross than the standard Phillips shape screw. A Phillips driver should work but I wonder if there isn't a better suited tool. Also, from the factory, each retaining screw had a small washer on the thread end to keep them from falling out. Not really needed and most are lost by now, but when they fall, they inevitably end up in the bumper area. Minor PITA. The metal is thin so install a screw that fits properly.

Neil.

On 11/16/13, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Buy the way, if you simply re-feed the headlight switch from a circuit not > connected to the ignition switch you will get the same lighting increase as > the relays, (using original wattage bulbs). > > I get a bit of a kick out of folks that need super lighting and auxiliary > stuff as they sit in traffic with the car if front of them no more than 4 > feet away. I do find it annoying when these folks are behind me. Especially > in the motor home, lights like this shining into the mirrors can be a real > nuisance.

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej