Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Nov 2013 17:13:59 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fun Bus Trip report
Comments: To: Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Yes CV Joint.

Dennis, From my phone. ________________________________ From: Scott Daniel<mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Sent: ‎11/‎16/‎2013 3:59 PM To: Dennis Haynes<mailto:d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Re: Fun Bus Trip report

HI Dennis . this is the first time I've heard of a VC joint. care to elaborate on that ? unless you mean CV.

vibrations and syncro vanagons .. over the years and decades I have found them to be quite 'nebulous' ... like hard to tell what all parts are worn, and there are quite a large number of parts, all wear items, in the drivetrain.

On one I worked on .... it vibrated signficantly when decelerating from 55 to 35 mph. No amount of careful inspection underneath or running it in the air would reveal anything. 'Seemed' like maybe rear wheel bearings or CV's ..but nothing clear anywhere.

it also 'almost missed' exactly at 3,100 to 3,200 rpm. I suspected the Air Flow Meter on that one.

Finally I checked the trans magnetic drain plug. There was a small piece of gear tooth on the magnet. The owner of the van loved spending money on it .. so he said ....pull the trans and send it out for rebuilding and do the driveshaft and other stuff.

In the process of removing the trans I found... besides the tired/worn out transmission .. a quite bad rear u-joint on the driveshaft .. and a lower engine mounting stud broken off in the waterboxer engine block.

He also wanted a new clutch and starter .. and since we're doing all that ...why not try a new AFM too ...at the time new ones were $ 500 ... and in the end.. yep ..that was what the 'almost missing' was at 3,100. And ..driving it ..the way the power curve and gear ratios were... that engine spent the majority of it's time around town right around that rpm.

so that one 'only' needed ..a full trans rebuild, an entire new slip-yoke driveshaft, a clutch and starter, broken off stud repair in the block and a new AFM. It was fine after all that !

I would not drive a syncro trans needing a rebuild too, too far. One a recent one ....a rebuilder shop I use charged $ 2,500 extra for the used trans not being a rebuildable core .. and driving it before the rebuild ...the only really noticable symptom was a crunchy 3rd gear syncronizer. I trust the trans shop too.

If Viscous Couplings have joints ..let me know. I changed one and it didn't have any joints associated with it.

lol.....many times........working on people's vehicles and vans that 'need a lot' I'd say ........jokingly ..'Glad I don't own it' !

Weather sounds good down there ....like small boat weather.

Scott

On 11/16/2013 10:43 AM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > So Fun Bus just made the trip from New York down to Florida. At 264.6K it is > experiencing some drive line issues. The transmission is howling especially > at speeds between 70-75 mph. In addition I think I am experiencing both > drive shaft universal joint issues and maybe a bad VC joint. I get a real > bad vibration between 40-50 mph. But just above that I get a real bad > "shudder" that is load related. Above 60 or so that shudder goes away but > you can tell something is not right. Otherwise the engine is doing just > fine. Guess I need to some investigation before the trip home. Currently I > am down in South Florida (Homestead). I'll be heading back to Barefoot Bay > probably on Tuesday. The weather down here is a nice comfy 83 and breezy. > > > > Someday! > > Dennis >