Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Nov 2013 16:20:07 -0800
From:         Brett Ne <brettn777@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Arduino and Vanagons

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Recently I installed a rebuilt Idle controller from GoWesty. I have to say > they got it right. It works just as it should. The price in my opinion was > reasonable for how well it is working. Time will tell if it lasts. > For the questions below see my comments. > > Nice! GoWesty definitely does nice work. I'm hoping that our design results in an ICU that is much cheaper and more durable than $190 (and remember, that jumps to $290 if your old one isn't rebuildable). I certainly don't have an issue with Gowesty making a nice profit; I'm hoping that we can design a solid replacement that costs $15 to make in quantity and GoWesty makes and sells them at $60. I'd buy one and happily give them $45 for the convenience of not having to cobble one together myself.

> So, here's what we need to know: > * The PWM duty cycle being feed to the idle air valve when: > --the engine is cold, the starter is engaged, and the coil is shorted > I don't think that coil should ever get shorted. There has to be a map for > cold start. There has to consideration for even warm or hot start all the > way down to -40F. >

By shorting the coil, I mean either short the high tension to the block or else disconnect the primary power to keep the engine from firing, just as is done when checking compression. I just want some idea of what the duty cycle is during a cold start. Too much or too little air could throw the air/fuel ratio out of the combustion range. I don't think that the O2 sensor operates on a cold start, so the fuel injectors are just blindly throwing a prescribed amount of fuel into the engine assuming that the idle air valve is acting properly & allowing the right amount of air flow.

> --the engine is cold & running > Maintain 1,000 rpm up to one minute if coolant under 100F. > --the engine is fully warm & running > Purely feed back controlled 850 rpm. > --the engine is fully warm & running with PS operating > Add no more than 100-150 rpm > --the engine is fully warm & running with AC on > Same as Power steering critical for automatics. >

Good info.

> > * The current draw from the idle air valve at a known duty cycle.(or feed > it straight 12v and measure the current draw.) > 12 volts on that valve for any length of time will smoke it. >

I assumed that someone with a multi-meter and the knowledge on how to use it would only have it hooked up for the few seconds it would take to get a current reading. Perhaps I shouldn't have. I need to know the current draw in order to choose an appropriate transistor to drive it.

> > * What is the voltage at the coolant temperature sensor when cold and when > 160 F. > Why 160F? The engine goes closed loop around 110-120F. >

Semi-arbitrary number. I figured by this temp the engine is pretty warmed up & operating normally. By measuring the voltage from the sensor the microcontroller can at least distinguish between a cold start and a warm start. it'd probably be better to get temperature and voltage readings both when it's cold and when it is fully warmed up. From that we can write an equation that will give us the temperature for any given voltage reading coming from the sensor.

The target rpm's for the various operating conditions is helpful, but I'd still like to have the duty cycle readings to go with them. If the warm idle duty cycle is 35% and jumps up to 85% when AC is turned on, I would be much more aggressive with the reaction rates in the formulas than if the same figures were 35% and 42%. The readings would also give is a much better idea on what should be happening outside of the idle range. Should the valve be closed during starting? Should the valve be closed when the van is going down the road at 3200 rpm? Should the valve be fully open at full throttle? I don't know. But the PWM readings under the conditions listed should give us a pretty good outline of what the ICU is supposed to be doing under the varying conditions.

-- Brett in Portland, OR "Albert" '82 VanaFox I4 Riviera