Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Nov 2013 17:46:52 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stolen Westy Syncro in Seattle--install an alarm

I don't see much attention ever being paid to alarms going off. Except by the red-faced owner of the vehicle (or maybe he is actually a thief, have YOU ever asked anyone in a vehicle with the alarm sounding if indeed it is HIS vehicle? Prolly not. I musta seen hundreds of Alarming vehicles, but I have never seen anyone being asked about ownership.

A switch, besides the ignition, that makes some sense...maybe a dog? One of my pals who owned a Westie Loaf in New York City, he painted his cargo carrier with a big logo of a cobra and signed it "Ernie's Reptile Farm"...his van never got messed with... I have signs on all my windows, small ones people stick to gates...."Beware of Dog"...Usually the dog is indeed inside and it's only fair to not have him surprise a mom with groceries in arm who opens her car next door in a supermarket lot...but it also does cause people to wonder and perhaps choose an easier vehicle to enter.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Al Knoll <anasasi@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks for the pointer, Stuart. > > A way to enhance the theft alarm and not annoy the neighbors is to put the > annunciator, that 150dbA screamin meemie INSIDE the car. Pretty sure most > folks couldn't stand the "heat" long enough to light the fires. And it > likely won't annoy the neighbors if a passerby wants to just "test" the > alarm system. A hidden, positive disconnect for the ECU / Start signal is > also handy too. Just ignore the rear fan blower and insure that it has to > be on to start the car. Heck, Leroy, looks like an ordinary fan blower > thing to me. > > Pensionerd. > > > > > On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>wrote: > >> All of the Vanagon Westies stolen recently in Seattle have been recovered >> nearby. All stolen by petty thieves apparently looking for things inside >> to >> sell, or just for joyriding. >> >> These rigs aren't stolen for resale or parts, so any kind of theft >> deterrent >> is a good idea--alarm, disable switch, battery shut-off, etc. >> >> Here is the alarm I installed in a weekend, and it includes an ignition >> disconnect and power door locks: >> >> http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS >> &Product_Code=W01F-740T >> >> I also added a switch for the alarm siren so I could turn it off in >> campgrounds (keep from accidentally setting it off as I first did). >> >> I added a power window kit too: >> >> http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS >> &Product_Code=3300-0030-0147 >> >> Both kits are quality products and installation is well documented and >> straightforward for the moderately skilled. Only "special" tools needed >> are >> a step drill bit and a 2" hole saw for access to the door lock rod. >> >> Best mods I've made in 40 years of VW ownership. I love being able to >> adjust >> the windows while driving, it's my air conditioning! >> >> Stuart >> '85 Westy >> >> >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >> OlRivrRat >> Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:51 AM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Stolen Westy Syncro in Seattle >> >> It appears as though this 1 has been found >> >> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1556155 >> >> >> On 27 Oct , 2013, at 2:39 PM, MICHAEL H wrote: >> >> > ... just horrible ... my condolences, Loren. with cameras being so >> > cheap and almost everywhere - have you and/or the police asked >> > around just in case ? mike, single cent theorist >> > >> > >> > ________________________________ >> > From: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> >> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> > Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2013 2:22 PM >> > Subject: Stolen Westy Syncro in Seattle >> > >> > >> > https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/4152046232.html >>