Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Nov 2013 13:19:39 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: slightly OT - MB L319 D camper
Comments: To: James <jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM>

---- James <jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > We have a wood deck, and I grew up in a house with wood siding - in both cases I can assure you that refinishing/repainting is not a "once every 15yrs" activity, but something that needs done every two or three years! Our wooden garage door, with just five years on it's 'factory' finish, is real need of repainting. That exterior wood finishes are getting uncommon doesn't surprise or disappoint me in the least. > > But, I love the wood interior of that L319 too! Wood on the inside is always nice.

Don't know what paint you use, how the surface is prepared before painting, or what climate you live in, but I'd sure get another painter! I live in the brutal summers of Oklahoma. I painted the house I live in when I bought it 12 years ago. Summer before last hail beat it up pretty badly, and it had to be painted again. mcneely

> > James > Ottawa, ON > '91 Westfalia Weekender > > > Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 07:47:44 -0800 > > From: dhanson928@GMAIL.COM > > Subject: Re: slightly OT - MB L319 D camper > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > > On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > > > My neighbour bought this last summer, I finally snapped some pics. > > > > > > The interior is quite nicely done, can i draw your attention to what look like a miniature fold down bunk on the wall. > > > > > > http://shufti.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/mercedes-benz-l-319d/ > > > > > > alistair > > > > I like a real wood interior, but the look seems to have gone the > > way of the Dodo bird or carrier pigeon. The current campers, RVs and > > even boats...they all seem to be plastic, vinyl or formica...and > > houses are now sided with cement 'Hardy-plank' and have Trex (plastic > > composite) decks. The selling point for thees inorganic finishing > > products seems to be "Never have to paint it"...."Always looks new" > > "No maintenance" To my eyes, the Plastic Look is dull. I'd much > > rather live with something that has a bit of character and might > > require refinishing once every 15yrs than live with something that > > looks like a porto-potty or a shipping container but is > > 'maintenance-free' > > > > Don Hanson >

-- David McNeely