Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Nov 2013 13:04:07 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: replacing window glass seals
Comments: To: Brett Ne <brettn777@GMAIL.COM>

Good job! Like I said, this is the only window that has ever given me trouble! Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > WooHoo! Got the sliding door window installed yesterday! Was a real > bear > & took about 2 hours. Started with thin polyester braided line and > silicon > spray, but that proved to be pretty ineffective. Perhaps a thicker > line > would have worked better. I just kept working at it with a thin nylon > flat > pry stick just like putting on a bike tire...a bike tire that is 1" in > diameter smaller than the wheel. Stacy's mention of holding the window > slightly away from the frame as you work around was spot on. I also > used a > suction cup handle on the glass which was quite helpful. Once I had > wrestled the last bit of rubber over the frame lip, my buddy gave a > firm > tug on the handle and the window just sucked itself right into > position. > Most satisfying. And so was the Widmer Raspberry Imperial Stout we had > in > celebration. I incurred one small tear in the process, but, given the > difficulty of the task and the fact that it was my first time working > with > a car window, I consider it a complete success. > While celebrating, we pulled out the hatch window. Four small spots of > rust need to be cleaned up, but overall it looks quite good for a 31 > year > old car. > Thanks for all of the help everyone! This is an awesome group. > "Volkswagen: turning owners into mechanics for over 50 years" So true, > so > true. > -- > Brett in Portland, OR > "Albert" '82 VanaFox I4 Riviera