Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Dec 2013 14:21:58 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: What Vanagon years will this heater distribution box fit?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Yes, the 91 heater box will fit in an 86 van but you need to know that the side hose connection points on the plastic heater box are different starting during the 87 model year. Those 2 hoses are for the vents at each of the dash, the ones that have adjustable grills on them.

Many later boxes have both side hose connection locations molded into the box and if so you can choose to use the location that matches the hoses you have in the van. That means you may need to cut the plug out of the ones you want to use and plug the holes you don't want to use. An important issue is that the side hoses are sized and shaped differently depending on which side location they are meant for so you have to use the box hose location that matches your vent hoses.

The difference of the side hose locations is this: Originally the dash side vents carried only fresh air that was never heated. During the 87 model year that was changed so the side vents only carried air that had passed through the heater core and thus if the heater core is hot that side vent air will be hot as well.

Mark

Jim Felder wrote: > I looked at the link and it doesn't make any sense to me, as I know this > box came out of either an 86 or a 91 but I don't know which. Also, wouldn't > the diesel part start with 068? It isn't an aircooled box as it has a > heater core. > > What I want to know is, actually to the point, if it's out of a 91, will it > fit an 86? > > Thanks, > > Jim > > > On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Diesel and air cooled only? >> >> http://www.partsbase.org/parts/vw-251259109/ >> >> That said, I *think* the bolt pattern of box to body should be the >> same for all model years. >> >> Neil. >> >> On 12/4/13, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> 251 259 109 >> >> >> >> -- >> Neil n >> >> Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca >> >> '88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p >> >> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group: >> >> http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej >> >