Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Dec 2013 19:16:37 -0500
From:         Steve Cotsford <cotsford@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Valet 711T system was electrical mystery
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Have not made much progress but have made some. The Valet 711T unit was very well installed, with lots of heat shrink, electrical tape and tie wraps making it tricky to follow around. I found the starter cut out relay and determined that the cable from the ignition switch had been cut to install it. Other than that I played with the valet push button switch and managed to defeat the starter isolation. Now the only thing that bothers me is that the door locks operate about 3 seconds after ignition key operation and I have not found a way to defeat that yet. I have however found 2 wires that are spliced into ignition switch wires and I suspect that they operate the power locks. Other than that, there is only 1 other wire that appears to be connected to the factory loom and its white with a blue stripe. It probably makes the horn sound or work the turn signal flashers. I have decided to leave the circuit alone and intact until other more important things are operational. I managed to remove and silence the open door alarm which drove me nuts but that is factory installed. This add on locking system is really quite frustrating and the instructions cover a multitude of different vehicles and I am having trouble finding pages that apply to Vanagons specifically. I must admit I don't usually use alarms and my cars are usually left unlocked. This area is known for its moonshine so I might have to pop next door and get some from a neighbor :-) Steve