Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Dec 2013 12:11:42 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: F/ Felder industries - lighter, lamp, outboard mount
Comments: To: Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@yahoo.com>

My last adventure with it was down a river so shallow that it broke all the spare shear pins I had and we cannibalized the tines of a camping fork. A fork tine was in the motor 45 years later when I recently cleaned up the carburetor--literally a cork with a tapered brass metering needle stuck through it--and started it as you see in the video. I am ready for spring to get here and take it out on some rivers on the canoe, which is why I made the mount. I like the fact that the gas tank is integral to the motor and that you could field strip it with a handful of tools and eyeball the points gap and it will run just fine.

We sold off some mid-late fifties motors when my dad died, but they were so "advanced" in design and complexity that nobody wanted to mess with them. The little Elto in the picture doesn't even have a clutch! More my speed.

Jim