Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Dec 2013 13:51:01 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another Reason For Hard Starting -- Cracked Bellhousing
Comments: To: Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM>

I'd say the fundamental issue is poor system of attachment trans-to-adapter-to-engine in the case of tiico.

it's considerably weaker than VW's diesel vanagon design for essentially the same thing ..inline four in a vanagon.. maybe only half as strong. There has never been a diesel VW engine ..even 1.9 TD's and TDI's bolted to a diesel vanagon bell housing in a syncro that broke any bolts or the bell housing, unless someone put it together sloppily. VW's design is rock solid that way. That I have heard of.

tdi in a syncro with an apdapter to stock wbxr bell housing in a syncro ...yup, those crack bell housings sometimes. those bolts should be checked like 3 times a year in any synco with an adapter system. Not at all like you can assemble it carefully and not think about it for 10 years like you can a stock factory arrangement.

and sure .. banging around on bumps and all that.

any adapter system is not as solid as a pure engine to bellhousing design, ever.

Large Subaru SVX engines in Syncro's were ripping their adapter studs out easily .. even in 3,000 miles in a syncro about 7 yrs ago or so.

there are a lot of forces going on .. movement over bumps,.....the twisting torque of engine to trans through adapter.. the mass of the engine itself hanging on the studs . the too-agressive or inept driver factor, etc.

Scott

On 12/7/2013 1:03 PM, Derek Drew wrote: > This is a very good guess for what happened to me..... that the > starter hit the gas tank..... I did not think of that. > > The only thing in my case is I think it would have happened driving > in Vermont in very rough country with not adequate skid plate > protection on this trip: > > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4OPDsQ6cAI>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4OPDsQ6cAI > > > > Now that I think of it, I would not be surprised if one of the bumps > we had on the ground smashed the starter into the gas tank, as you say. > > At 02:32 PM 12/7/2013, you wrote: >> So is the crack caused by the starter bumping up against the fuel tank >> while cranking engine? (movement in drivetrain?) Or is a higher >> compression engine causing the starter to torque (my term, kinda >> fishing here) up against the housing thus causing the crack over >> time? >> >> Thanks, >> >> Neil. >> >> On 12/7/13, Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> > On Dec 7, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM> >> wrote: >> >> > Eventually it took on a dead or dying battery symptom because >> > the housing was so broken the starter was binding way off 90 degrees >> > and the engine wouldn't start at all. >> > >> > A shop I took it to just replaced the battery, not noticing that >> made no >> > difference >> > at all. Of course, never have returned to that shop. Had the van >> towed to >> > another >> > shop that diagnosed the cracked bellhousing immediately and have >> used them >> > periodically since.....and got rid of the TIICO in '05. >> > >> > Bob >> >> >> -- >> Neil n >> >> Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca >> >> '88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p >> >> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group: >> >> http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej > > _______________________________________________ > Derek Drew > Washington DC / New York > derekdrew@derekmail.com > Email is best normally but... > PHONE: 202-966-7907 (Call the number at left normally) > (alt/cell for diligent calling only): 703-408-1532 >