Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 2013 14:18:10 -0800
From:         Brett Ne <brettn777@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Arduino and Vanagons

Just a quick update.

I bludgeoned together an Arduino program to calculate and display the engine speed based on the Hall sensor output(my programming "style" makes hackers' code look elegant). To deal with the presupposed high voltage(to a microcontroller, anything over 5v is high voltage) from the Hall sensor , I put a 10k and a 3.3k resistor in series with one end connected to the Hall output and the other to ground. The Arduino input pin was connected between the two resistors, which should give a voltage output of 1/4 whatever the voltage is coming from the Hall sensor. I tried hooking it up a couple of times with the engine running and it stopped it cold immediately each time. That is one *weak* signal! A 13.3kohm path to ground shuts it down. Just to live life on the edge, I removed the 3.3k resistor going to ground and tried again. This means that the full voltage coming from the Hall sensor will be going to the Arduino input pin(it's only $2-3 for a new chip if I burn out the pin). This time, the engine continued running without complaint and I was getting rpm readings on the LCD. WooHoo! The readout was too high and very unstable, so there is still much work to be done in this first step. I'll have to recheck my code; my formula was based on timing 8 pulses, but I may have set the counter wrong and it's counting only to 7 pulses, giving a higher than true reading. I think the the instability has to do with the handling of a very weak signal.

Sometime in the next day or two I'll drag my laptop out and hook up my USB oscilloscope to it and get a better idea of what this Hall sensor output looks like. Because the Hall signal is so easily disrupted, It looks like we'll need to add an op-amp voltage buffer in order to be able to use this signal without affecting the ignition system.

This gives yet another option for those thinking of installing a hidden vehicle disabling system for security. Tie in a wire to the Hall output, run it to a hidden toggle switch that switches it to ground via a 5k resistor. Less obvious than a fuel relay disabling system. It'd take a good mechanic at least a half hour to find it. An average mechanic would take several hours and would have replaced the engine computer, coil, cap, rotor...

I've started looking into the circuitry required, but am not to a stage yet where I think it would be fruitful to report.

Brett