Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 2013 18:15:15 -0500
From:         Steve Cotsford <cotsford@AOL.COM>
Subject:      electrical mystery

Hi, I bought this '88 model Vanagon back in April. It is sometimes referred to as a Bluestar. I bought it with the engine out of it so the first thing I had to do was install the engine which came with the van, a 2.1. I had to buy some parts to complete the engine which I did and then installed it. Then I proceeded to try to make it run which soon led me to understand that I needed a fuel pump. This was back in May of this year. Unfortunately I was then involved in a serious car accident which sidelined me for a good while and I have just now got back to try to get the Bluestar running. The van has been sitting idle outdoors for 6 months, here in the NC mountains. I have a fuel pump to install. I do however have a mysterious (to me anyway) electrical issue. If I insert the ignition key, all the turn signals and dash lights start flashing and so far I have not found a way to stop this. All the dash switches are in the off position. Clearly there is a security system that I am ignorant of and I am not going to make any progress until I have the upper hand in this. The electrical system seems to be fine otherwise although I have not succeeded in getting power to the fuel pump connections. Probably because a system is making the turn signals and dash lights flash. All the lights work properly otherwise. The wipers work although there is a missing relay and it only works on full speed and will not park properly. I am a retired mechanical engineer and have rebuilt several engines, gas and diesel, converted cars, drive VW tdi cars and a Land Rover converted to 300tdi, possess a Fluke meter and I am not usually a rookie. However if someone could point me in the right direction to get started on this one, I would be very appreciative. Many thanks, Steve