Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 2013 19:41:03 -0500
From:         James <jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Arduino and Vanagons
Comments: To: Brett Ne <brettn777@gmail.com>

I'm not surprised that your homemade voltage divider grounded out the Hall Effect sensor signal - typical sensor signal is under 10 milliamps at 5 volts (though maybe VW used 12), and feeds an op-amp (think, very high input input impedance, maybe 1 Mohm). Putting 13.3 kohm in parallel with 1 Mohm diverted nearly all the signal away from the ECU. The existing ISV control box probably uses an op-amp as an input stage, and our replacement will need to as well. (The actual Hall Effect signal is around 30 microvolts, typically, and has already been amplified inside the Hall Effect sensor's circuitry up to a 'useful' level.)

The 10 kohm resistor should have been more than enough to protect the Arduino's inputs from harm. (Remember, resistors are current limiting devices, and it's too high a current that damages a microcontroller, not just the voltage.)

It's fascinating to read your progress reports. I predict that your oscilloscope check on the output of the Hall sensor will produce a square wave of about 5V, with an on period of about 50 microseconds, in a 2 millisecond period. (Duty cycle of about 3% on a 400-450 Hz square wave signal.)

James Eaton Ottawa, ON