Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 2013 18:54:03 -0800
From:         Brett Ne <brettn777@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Arduino and Vanagons

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM, James <jk_eaton@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not surprised that your homemade voltage divider grounded out the Hall > Effect sensor signal - typical sensor signal is under 10 milliamps at 5 > volts (though maybe VW used 12), and feeds an op-amp (think, very high > input input impedance, maybe 1 Mohm). Putting 13.3 kohm in parallel with 1 > Mohm diverted nearly all the signal away from the ECU. The existing ISV > control box probably uses an op-amp as an input stage, and our replacement > will need to as well. (The actual Hall Effect signal is around 30 > microvolts, typically, and has already been amplified inside the Hall > Effect sensor's circuitry up to a 'useful' level.) >

I figured that the Hall sensor assembly had some preconditioning of the output signal; nice square pulses don't naturally result from rotating electronics. If the voltage on the signal turns out to be 5v or less, we may not need an op-amp at all since the input pin on an Arduino is very high impedance.

> > The 10 kohm resistor should have been more than enough to protect the > Arduino's inputs from harm. (Remember, resistors are current limiting > devices, and it's too high a current that damages a microcontroller, not > just the voltage.) >

Sometimes it's the voltage that causes harm and sometimes it's the current induced by the voltage(heat dissipation problems) that causes the harm. I was concerned about the voltage rather than current because in input mode, the microcontroller pin only draws about 1 microAmpere of current.

> > It's fascinating to read your progress reports. I predict that your > oscilloscope check on the output of the Hall sensor will produce a square > wave of about 5V, with an on period of about 50 microseconds, in a 2 > millisecond period. (Duty cycle of about 3% on a 400-450 Hz square wave > signal.) > > Uhmmm...wait a minute...a 2 millisecond period means 500 pulses per second...with two plugs firing with each crank rotation, thats 250 rotations per second...which translates into 60 x 250 = 15,000 rpm...which means...that you've installed a Formula 1 engine into your Vanagon...Cool!!

-- Brett in Portland, OR "Albert" '82 VanaFox I4 Riviera