Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 2013 22:01:02 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      rising cost of Vanagon parts...

If you simply must have a stock or factory original looking vanagon, I guess you will just have to keep upping your parts budget but if you just want function with perhaps a bit easier access and better performance, making your own stuff is not especially difficult. The list was looking for instrument pods which are said to be getting expensive and brittle.. I know it sounds weird but you can easily make a very good instrument panel, one that has much better access to the wiring and connectors, one with accurate and dependable gauges that are arranged to YOUR liking...Yeah, it won't look stock. But stock isn't necessarily the best arrangement, the most dependable, the most accurate....stock is just what the bean counters and the engineers decided would make the most money for the company...

Individual analog (my preference) or digital gauges can be installed into a dash panel (or two) of your own design...fairly simple to do. They do it all the time in racecars. I took an almost 50lb pod out of my racecar and replaced it with 16lbs of my own design...an aluminum plate and some autometer instruments that actually gave me numbers, not incremental lines and bars and warning lights...I arranged the dials so that at operating temperature and speed all the needles pointed to 12 O Clock....A quick scan was all it took to see any readout that wasn't right.....A bank or two of toggle switches and you are there... I used the back of a dish pan that I laid up some carbon fiber over then removed the pan (a mold) for the cowl to cover the wires on the rear of the panel and two large Dzus fasteners so I could pull the whole panel right out without a tool even....

Every time I go into my dash pod on the vanagon I swear at all the fiddly little brittle plastic tabs and tiny connectors and I always vow to make one that a human hand can work with....but then it goes back together(eventually and with crossed fingers that I got all the wires in right) and I finds someplace fun to go off to in my Vanagon and I put that project off....till the next issue that requires me to go into the pod........ Yes, the stockers look great and you can put your toy Poodle up there and he wouldn't get shocked or be able to chew anything important, but these are basically trucks or utility vehicles, not slick cars....They should be easier to work on and do the job better if possible and keeping it stock, at greater expense and lesser function? Next time something integral to the pod in mine breaks....I think I'll be revising that mess...