Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:12:35 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone have a good rear heater core for sale?

Thanks for all the info!

I like Rich's water heater application, very clever. He doesn't need this in San Diego, but I recall someone putting five gallon jugs of heated water in the van before winter camping and he could heat the van all night.

This is a way to replenish the heat mass every day with a little driving around and have a hot shower too:

Richard Koerner wrote:

I used the Rear Heater "loop" to instead go through a 15 foot section of 1/4" copper tubing, formed around a circular form (spray paint can) and dunk that into 5 gallon tub of water; added a quarter turn ball valve from local hardware store to let flow in or stop. Ball valve has equivalent effect to "plugging". Heats up 5 gallons of water from "ambient" to 120 degrees F in about 15-20 minutes of driving. I rigged a Walmart BBQ meat thermometer (probe inserted into tub of water) to display that up by dashboard, wiring underneath van of course. Have used EVERY camp trip for about 8 years now....works primo. HOT showers are a MUST for me when camping! If you can, why not?

Rich San Diego