Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:21:45 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Drive report. 84 gas inline VW powered 1400 mile blitz...
Comments: To: "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines"
          <vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com>

Left the Pac NW in sub zero and it stayed below freezing all the way south for the first day's driving. Funny to see cars with snow in downtown Bakersfield. The van ran fine, getting about 22mpg at 70 mph average speeds, even on the slick interstate. Very stable with new Nokian snows and my old Nokians on the front.Having a heavy load, most packed to put weight on the rear, that helped a lot. I went through two quarts of oil, my Jetta motor is getting a bit 'long in the tooth" I guess, but my hand-done head surfacing job (replaced a blown headgasket just before leaving) caused no problems and the motor runs strong as ever. I'll probably be ready for at least some fresh Swepco when I get back north in spring...I can hear the tranny more than before (I think). I was sorry, for the first time ever, that I took my rear heater out..I wore a down parka inside with full main heat selected while driving and was comfortable enough.

I camped overnight at a T/A in Orland, Ca. where there is also an abandoned walnut grove just behind the big rig parking...you can camp amongst the old trees, away from the trucks but still secure. I had a Northface down bag and a second car bag and a heavy blanket..I was warm enough with no heat inside...and I had my coffeepot ready to roll in the AM....so I reached out of bed and lit the stove right from my sleeping bags....

Gas was in the $3.30 - $3.75 range and I ran regular except when I got in to LA, where every HP is needed to hold your own on the freeways where there are often 6 lanes either stopped, or all going in the 80s and 90s mph.

Arrived in the desert SW and it was cold in the shade...60s..but it's back to 77 today and much nicer than freezing fog...

Don Hanson