Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:40:19 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: Subwoofer
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

Most, if not all, speakers (other than yours, of course) are ported, allow freedom of movement. I'd expect that the larger the speaker, and smaller the enclosure, the more critical the port would become.

It seems it would be right up your alley to place ports on the sides of the speaker cabinet by installing louvers. Yes, louvers! The ultimate statement of coolness. A rideable sex box with sound (we're onto ya) and LOUVERS. You cold market this as LOUVERS FOR LOVERS!

Gotta go, they're after me again,

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] |On Behalf Of Alistair Bell |Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 10:26 AM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Re: Subwoofer | |I've had some time to play with the sub and discovered... | | |I must have some little wiring issue or perhaps amp is baulky |as the sub on occasion does not not come on full. Most of the |time it thumps, but once in a while it doesn't. It might be |due to the kludge connections I made on the speaker wire and |power signal terminals. The darned amp has six terminal molex |type connection for those wires and I have individual molex |connectors to them. I have heat shrink on the molex terminals |to bulk them up and give some friction upon insertion (!) but |I really need to get the right plastic housing for the terminals | |The sub is a little obnoxious when placed behind the driver's |seat. Much more acceptable behind the rear bench seat. Again, |eschewing proper practice, I'm running RCA jacked patch cord |to the sub and using female-female RCA connectors to add |another patch cord to get the sub in the way back. | |The head unit has adjustments for frequency and boost to the |sub output. And has hi pass filter for adjusting output to the |other speakers. I'm still fiddling with those adjustments. | |Jerome in Calgary suggests adding a port to the enclosure. |Anyone else agree? I can measure the volume of the enclosure |but I have no info on the 12" speaker apart from it having a |paper cone and I measured 8 ohms across the terminals. | |My music collection is not what you would call bass heavy. But |some songs really surprise me with the improvement from the sub. | |I do have some thumping tracks and I can turn up the volume so |that those outside the van can share my taste in music :) | |Jim mentions show tunes, my collection is no where near as |vast his. Besides, I don't think Judy Garland songs really |benefit from a sub. | |Sitting on the sub when a bass heavy song is playing is |something I could charge money for. A mobile "kundalini |awakening" service perhaps. | |Felder speculates about a toilet roll holder and ipod dock. |Good suggestions and I'll get my legal team busy on drafting |up some sort of licensing agreement with FI. | |Cheers | |Alistair | | | |> On Dec 13, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> wrote: |> |> Just got back in from a westy trip and finally had a chance |to admire |> Bell Enterprise's latest. The welding, always enviable, |continues to impress. |> And upon inspection, I don't find the leatherwork earns the |disrespect |> heaped upon it while I was away, either. |> |> What I want to know is, how do those show tunes sound |through this thing? |> and if someone does try to use it for its more obvious, though |> unintended purpose, does its autodetect circuitry announce "that |> device is not supported?" |> |> And, would Bell Enterprises care to license Felder Industries' |> combination iPod input/toilet paper roll holder into the design? We |> can discuss further under non-disclosure. |> |> Jim Felder |> Felder Enterprises--for the Van who has everything |> |> Jim |> |> |>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@q.com> wrote: |>> |>> Agree with that. Seems to always be a side effect of any infection, |>> and makes travel without an iffy proposition. |>> |>> Karl Wolz |>> Sent from my electronic umbilicus |>> |>>>> On Dec 11, 2013, at 2:42 PM, george jannini |<georgejoann@GMAIL.COM> |>>> wrote: |>>> |>>> I wouldn't leave home without a portable toilet on board, |it's saved |>>> my seat bottom a time or two. |>>