Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Dec 2013 19:28:56 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Remote Start Hookup - '88GL w/Manual Tranny
Comments: To: Steve Cotsford <cotsford@AOL.COM>

At 04:12 PM 12/14/2013, Steve Cotsford wrote: >What do you think the amperage would be, to trigger the starter >solenoid? It was just going through my mind where to buy a >suitable push button switch to make a suitable set up. I would >think perhaps 1 to 2 amps would do the job but I cant remember when >last I saw a push button bigger than the skinny electronic ones at >Radio Shack and I would want a way to anchor the wires. Thanks, Steve

I measured it once but I forget the answer. Pretty sure not more than three amps. For ultimate simplicity, one of Radio Shack's largest clip leads (the kind with crocodile clips instead of alligator clips) is plenty heavy and the right length to rig semi-permanently so you can just lift up the shielded end and press it to the alternator B+ stud to engage the starter. Not possible to do it by accident but easy to do on purpose. Other end of course clips to the spare terminal on the starter solenoid, and you lash it to hoses etc. Much safer than a permanent pushbutton, which I thought of rigging at one time. Ideally you'd replace the crocodile clip on the starter end with a Faston female spade terminal.

Yrs, d