Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Dec 2013 10:30:06 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speedy
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

I think a lot of what Scott is writing about is fraud and intent, not working fast or too fast. There has been a lot of confusion in this post about that. My mother-in-law once got charged by a repair shop for a new transmission in her 69 Beetle. I looked under it and saw that it was not new at all, and that she had been defrauded. You wouldn't say they were trying to shave time off the job, Scott.

Scott mentioned that he has lots of vanagons. If one of his is down a week so he can do the annual speedometer cable lube, he just jumps in another one. Not me. I have one. If my dash is out for a master cylinder on Sunday afternoon and I have to be on the road on Monday, that speedometer cable lube and ground star cleaning are not going to get done that day. They eventually do. My car is in good shape, everything works and it all gets taken care of.

At the average shop, if a van comes in and needs a master cylinder, is it the mechanic's fault if the speedometer cable doesn't get lubed or the ground stars get cleaned, if the mechanic even knows there are ground stars in there? I don't think so. It's up to the owner to state what they want fixed, and say "while you're in there, would you take car of x, y and z?" If you as an owner don't meet that qualification, then Vanagon ownership (or any other old car) is probably not your thing.

A good mechanic will call you up and say what else needs to be fixed. But as far as going through the whole car and taking care of every little detail, that's restoration in my opinion, and not part of everyday mechanicing.

Jim