Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:07:44 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van Dies while in motion
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Ditto on the ignition switch .. and I like the stronger '48' diesel vanagon battery .. fits just fine, has more oomph ... and I may never go in a Walmart the rest of my life and don't recommend them at all for various reasons.

I buy Kneckt's Auto Parts 48 batteries ... a few a year for my fleet even .. two-year out right replacement .....about $ 85 ...they work just great.

I also don't recommend running out and buying a battery unless there are good reasons to. This is a very common............ 'I think I'll through parts at it and see if this fixes it' 'repair.'

a simple hydrometer costs like 3 bucks and can identify a weak cell easily. if you have a battery with a weak cell or two ..and it won't hold a charge for say ...10 days.. it's due to be replaced. A load tester is nice too. if you work on your own cars, you need a battery charger and a load tester. Load tester is $ 55 at HF and mine has been perfect for 5 yrs now.

if a battery sits discharged much ..it suffers real harm. If it's been dead a while and will not take a charge on your battery charger..then it's junk. you need at least a 10 amp charger.. a 2/10/50 is much better ....maybe 70 bucks or so.

for sure ..check charging voltage with engine running .. a 'must do' ...check at altnernator post and battery ..they should be pretty close ..with in a few tenths of a volt.. if there's say .8 volts less at the battery ...that's not good.

I consider 13.8 volts to be standarnd-minimum OK charging voltage.

scott

On 12/20/2013 7:27 AM, Ken Wilford wrote: > Tony, > > Sounds like the ignition switch as Jim has stated. Or it could be an > alternator/battery issue or both. I would get a new battery and a new > ignition switch. You can drop the lower column cover, unplug the old > ignition switch from the harness and plug the new one into the harness > without installing it. Use a small screw driver to turn it in the slot > that is on the side that is away from the plug just like you would be > turning the key in the ignition normally. If the van starts right up > and is back to normal then that is the problem, get it home and install > the new switch. If not, install the new battery (group 41 from > Wal-mart). Now try starting it. Even if the alternator is toast it > should start up and be able to be driven for an hour before getting so > low that it kills the engine again (try not to run any other lights or > fans if you can help it). Use a volt meter at the battery to see if the > alternator is putting out. It should be doing at least 13.5volts. You > may have to rev the engine above 2000 rpms to get it to kick in. > > Let us know what you find out. > > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com > > PS > Welcome to the Vanagon List! > > On 12/20/2013 1:46 AM, Anthony Boscolo wrote: >> Hi all, >> >> This is my first post so I will try to be as clear as possible. I >> have an >> 1986 Syncro GL. >> Driving up to the mountains tonight the head lights went out...about 20 >> seconds later the engine died...the key is stuck in the ignition and >> if i >> turn it the dash lights (bat,ox, etc...) don't respond. There is no >> noise >> at all if I turn the key. >> >> At the time I had the rear heater on full, and was running the >> high-beams...and I may have had the front heater/fan on as well. >> >> Any thoughts on what went wrong? fuse? if so I can't figure out >> which one. >> >> In the meantime, the Van is on the side of the road on SR 410 just >> before >> the turn up to crystal mt. If you see her, wish her good thoughts. >> >> Thanks for the help >> >> -- >> Anthony Boscolo | 206.794.1727 | abosail@gmail.com >> >> >> ----- >> No virus found in this message. >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com >> Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6937 - Release Date: >> 12/20/13 >> >> > > -- > Thanks, > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com > Phone: 856-327-4936 > Fax: 856-327-2242 >