Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Dec 2013 22:02:00 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Distributor Woes - One Lives - One Dies
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

my thoughts too. there is a cheater way though .. if the pipe will unscrew from the block .. oil cooler can stay in place with hoses attached even. slip o-ring in, get pipe back in, etc.

as engines go ..having anything sandwiched between spin-on oil filter and engine block Always has the potential to get loose ..tend to leak, etc. That nut needs to be checked now and then.

also ..something to always watch out for with spin-on oil filters.

Don't let this happen ......Remove old fitler - don't notice that rubber seal stays on engine. Screw on new oil filter..has two sealing gaskets now.

it lasts just well enough without leaking to pump all the oil out 5 miles later on the highway. Many engines have blown this way .. even ones were a dealership did the oil change.

Scott

On 12/24/2013 3:17 PM, mark drillock wrote: > Sudden massive oil leaks of that kind tend to be the o-ring seal for the > oil cooler. Lots of VWs share the same cooler and o-ring so the seal is > easy to buy. Not that fun to change on a wbx 2.1 though. > > Mark > > JRodgers wrote: >> ............. >> Volksiebus is dead. My '88 Dover Blue Transporter blew a major oil seal >> somewhere. I was working on the Red Brick this afternoon, had to run to >> the store, started Volksiebus, began to back out the drive and there was >> a HUGE puddle and oil trailing out following me down the driveway. I >> pulled back up and shut down. It's had a leaky pulley seal for a while - >> and I think it just let go. .................. >