Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Dec 2013 11:48:41 -0600
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire observation
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis,

Way back you recommended the General Altimax 205/70-14 tire and I went with that. got them on all my Tintops and they have performed exceptionally well. With the demise of that tire - what would you now redommend - if I stay with 14 inch rims? Not quite ready tow buy new 15 inch rims just yet - specially for three vans.

BTW - most of my driving is local and city driving - modestly loaded - and on pavement. Ocassionally I't make a trip of a 100 miles or so.

Thanks,

John

On 12/26/2013 10:59 AM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > I have driven more older vehicles than you think. There are reasons I > appreciate technology. I've driven Model T's, Model A's Ford V8 Phaeton, > (1935), Older Buicks, Pierce Arrow's etc. I own a 1923 "Haynes" Model 57 > Sport touring, wooden wheels and the optional front brakes, all linkage > operated and external contracting, (linings on the outside of the drums). I > am more of a car enthusiast than just Vanagons. > > That Corvette really doesn't need power steering. It needs modern tires and > suspension. Think back when radial tires were considered no good! > > Except for the recent entry into luxury (SUVs and the Panamera) most Porsche > owners are enthusiasts and wish to respected for that. > > As for my Fox I am not sorry at all. It is what it is! The perfect commuter > car. I bought it back in 2004 from the original owner, an 88 year old woman. > It still had three of the original tires on it and I took it home with > 14,470 miles on it. I paid her $2,000. That car now has 145K on it. It gets > a consistent 27-30 mpg even in Long Island traffic. The transmission is now > noisy so it needs replacing. Heck the AC still works. > > As for the tire sizes on your Volvo, the difference in diameter between a > 185/65-15 and 195/60-15 is about 1/4 inch. I doubt you can feel that effect > on gearing. As for a difference in ride quality most likely the choice of > tire had more to do with that difference and the 3/8" difference I width > didn't effect handling or traction much either. > > Bigger tires are not always better. I agree! However tire technology has > changed and newer performance tires offer many advantages over the original > truck/trailer tires used. There are very few vehicles offered today that > ride on 185 width tires and non that can weight over 5,000 pounds. Even the > last of the Eurovans came equipped with 225/60-16XL. It is more that > coincidence that this or the 225/55-17XL is the size I most recommend. For > the Syncros were owners want taller the choices can be 215/65-16, (can be > made to fir in the tire carrier), 235/60-16. Or 235/55-17. Currently I'm > running that last choice on Fun Bus with Nokian WR-G2s. No turning back for > me. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Scott Daniel > Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 11:01 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Tire observation > > lol.. > you should drive a 59 Corvette then. > I took care of one for an older couple for a number of years. > 'the very worst' steering you could imagine.. > high effort , vague etc. > That retro-fit 'add on' electric PS system from the UK I mentioned in > another post would probably help. > > > you did write 'last breed of vehicle' .. > you didn't say non-sports or massively abundant production numbers , you > said 'vehicle' and that's a huge generalization I think is worth objecting > to, as readers with less car overview might believe it like it's gospal. > > I'm sure thouasands of Porsche owners would object to being classified 'a > limited few purists.' > > tell me ..what car has been in continuous production and development longer > than any other car model or type on the planet ? > ( not to mention countless racing victories...endless variations of the > type...even customer dedicated track versions ) > > The Porsche 911 ..first appeared in 1963 I think . Didn't they just celibate > the 50th Anniversary of the 911 ? > They did actually. > that hardly qualifies as 'a few limited purists.' > > you have an 88 Fox ? ...I am so sorry !! lol :-) > > I'll put my 88 up against it any time. > Inga is a 740 volvo turbo sedan of that year, a true factory hot rod / > performance special version. > > Oh .............AND Inga is far happier, and much less too-tall-geared, > and more nimble handling in every way with the Studdless Winter Blizzacsk I > got for her in winter, size 185/65 R 15 ...than she is with the 195/60 R15 H > rated tires that are stock. > > the car sucks with 195/60 R 15 tires on ..too harsh, and silly high geared. > Might be all right for going 100 mph ..but for 65 to 75ish mph range they > suck. l the smaller ones though, without such a high speed rating....much > better gearing, and far more nimble handling. > Night and day difference. > The winter tires are just great. Better ride, everything is better. > > I know bigger tires are attractive and fun ..and I've done it too, and they > can help in some ways sometimes. > Bigger is not always better though. > > Bigger tires in rain hydrplane easier ..with more surface area they want to > ski on top of the water more easily. > > A narrow tire with smaller footprint ( but same weight on it ) would resist > hydroplanning better than a larger tire with a bigger footprint, generally > speaking. > > if you want your car to ski on top of puddles on road surfaces ..which still > happens sometime.. > put on bigger tires with a larger contact area. > > and hey...it'll steer easier too ! ( with the smaller tires ..less tendency > to ski on top of water, easier steering ..sounds good to me ! ) > > I don't know man. > S. > > > > > On 12/25/2013 5:35 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: >> Let's not compare a "purpose" built vehicle destined for a limited few >> purists to main stream market vehicles. There are folks that still >> pull all the accessories out of sports cars including Camaros and >> Mustangs. I have an >> 88 fox and anyone who drives it complains about the lack of power >> steering when the have to park it. Yes my fault for upgrading the >> tires from >> 155/80-13 to 185/60-14. However no way will I go back to the original >> size for highway use especially in wet weather. My wife and I have use >> the "Armstrong" power steering system. >> >> >> >> Dennis >> >> >> >> From: Scott Daniel [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] >> Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 6:41 PM >> To: Dennis Haynes; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Tire observation >> >> >> >> How long did the Porsche 911 go in production before they finally put >> on power steering ? >> >> it's easy to search. >> >> from Wikipedia . >> >> The first 964s available in 1989 .................. >> Power steering and ABS >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system> brakes were >> added to the 911 for the first time; both were standard. >> >> The 911 did without PS uo to 89. >> The majority of Vanagons had power steering by 1985. >> >> Vanagons "amongst the last breed' ...sure, as fair statement. >> >> if you keep the original type tires on a non-PS vanagon .. >> which can be tallish 14 inchers...they'll do pretty wellout the PS. >> >> >> >> >> On 12/25/2013 11:46 AM, Dennis Haynes wrote: >> >> In general a low traction-rolling resistance tire will also require >> less steering effort. The two attributes do work together. There are >> exceptions especially with the change to higher performance low >> profile tires. Here they can increase traction and handling and also > reduce rolling resistance. >> However wider tires can still increase steering effort. The Vanagon >> is probably amongst the last breed of vehicle available without power > steering. >> >> >> Dennis >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >> Behalf Of Don Hanson >> Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:05 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >> Subject: Tire observation >> >> I recently swapped my 14" tires. I put my older Nokian Hakkapelitta C >> mud and snow on the front, replacing Hankook RAO 8s that were even >> more worn than the hakkas. This greatly increased the effort to steer >> at parking speeds. I have no power steering. I have decent arm >> strength, but I now find it quite a chore to turn the wheels without >> any movement of the van, where with the RAO 8s, it was much easier. I >> have about 43psi (dunno how many Barrs that is) in the tires. Once >> rolling and at higher speeds, the Hakkas steer and track just fine. >> >