Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Dec 2013 11:32:41 -0800
From:         al sinclair <alvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      air-cooled engine expert recommendation needed near San Jose CA

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a good engine mechanic to find and fix a problem on our air-cooled '81 Westie please, somewhere near San Jose CA?

My commute is between Santa Cruz and Santa Clara, so anywhere not too far off that rat-run would be ideal, but I'll go most anywhere for a knowledgeable tech.

Our Westie is having trouble starting cold - the colder it is (and that's not really lower than 30 here) the worse it is. She also stalls when cold, then won't restart without sitting for quite a while. When decently warmed up she starts just fine, but on the highway putting the gas pedal to the floor produces a bad drop in power.

The car had a new short-block at 60,000 miles (previous owner put a piston through a cylinder), and has done another 50K since then, reliably running fine until the last few months. It's an automatic if that makes any difference. I guess it's a fuel system issue but that's outside my expertise.

This is getting to the stage where we're not going places because we may not get back. Last time we went camping (Highland Lakes in the Sierras at about 8,000 feet) it took me six hours to get the beast started, and that was only possible because a friend was there too so I could use his LandRover as a battery. I daren't go remote places by myself now, so any pointers to someone who can diagnose and cure the problem will be wonderful.

Happy holidays - here's to a happy and healthy, prosperous and peaceful 2014 for all.

Alan