Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Dec 2013 12:13:35 -0800
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Selling my 1989 Bluestar ($25k)
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>

There's a '91 maroon hardtop 4-speed on the Norfolk CL and has been for a couple of weeks for $2325.  The link for pix is to the expired ebay ad where it hit the same price and did not sell.  Pix show it to be a fairly decent van with alloys (no interior photos) and I can't believe no one has grabbed it considering the ones also posted for $4000 or more in obviously less-good shape.  Just goes to show you how fickle the market can be. By the way, I heard the NPR segment on "endowment," but confess I was thinking of motorcycle and bicycle prices at the time and not Vanagons.  I'll try to do better next time. That's my No Vanagon Content for this post. Stephen On Friday, December 27, 2013 2:46 PM, Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM> wrote: I want that 190. Karl Wolz Sent from my electronic umbilicus > On Dec 27, 2013, at 11:52 AM, Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET> wrote: > > It’s not that way just for Vanagons! I’ve owned 20 old Mercedes, none of them collectable, and since I own & drive one I have also sold or traded 19 of them. > > > > My latest Mercedes is a 1995 E320 that my oldest son picked up for $700. He put some money into the car and I traded a 1960 Mercedes 190Dc and $1500 for the car. He came out $1500 ahead in total value. But he took a risk on the car and he has “sweat equity” invested. When I get tired of this one I’ll probably sell it for about $3500 and it will probably take me 6 months to sell. > > > > In addition to the Mercedes I’ve had other cars & motorcycles adding up to 60 or so not counting the ones I’ve disassembled for parts. And no, I’m not in the car business. > > > > I’ve had people tell me I’m “ripping them off”, my response has always been “ok, buy someone else’s Mercedes”. One person offer me a 1976 Vette in trade for a Mercedes that he claimed was in excellent shape. The entire clear coat was crazed and the interior was in shambles. When I refused to trade he & his friend got so upset about driving all the way in from Scottsboro for a “done deal” that I had to threaten to call the police before they would leave. One person chased me for 6 months with a $750 offer on a 1976 BMW motorcycle I still ride today and it’s never been for sale! > > > > Bottom line is it’s never fun selling a car of any kind to the public. > > > > Thanks, Tom Hargrave > > www.kegkits.com <http://www.kegkits.com/> > > www.stir-plate.com <http://www.stir-plate.com/> > > www.towercooler.com <http://www.towercooler.com/> > > www.grow-sun.com <http://www.grow-sun.com/> > > www.raspberryproject.com <http://www.raspberryproject.com/> > > > > Did you try to call & I did not answer? I apologize but I never answer numbers I don’t recognize because I’m tired of sales people trying to sell me life insurance, health insurance, Obama insurance, merchant services, very expensive money and the latest, greatest “guaranteed to make millions” investment. > > > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf Of Harry Hoffman > Sent: Friday, December 27, 2013 11:58 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Selling my 1989 Bluestar ($25k) > > > > Yep, that's been my experience too. > I realized that I priced it high but was not expecting some of the emails I got in response. I figured I'd get some low ballers but their low price would be where I was willing to sell. > > The amount of negativity was overwhelming, you'd think I shot someone's dog. One guy seemed so offended that he removed me from a vanagon Facebook group he created. > > There were a few good notes and well wishes but it's certainly a reminder of what $*@# people can be when they disagree about something. > > Cheers, > Harry > > -------- Original Message -------- > From: J Stewart > Sent: Fri, Dec 27, 2013 07:44 AM > To: Harry Hoffman > CC: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Subject: Re: Selling my 1989 Bluestar ($25k) > > I've commented many times on the price of Vanagons. Here is what I've found: If I am looking to buy, every seller out there believes theirs is worth it's weight in gold, even with ripped canvas, passenger car tires, nasty stains on the upholstery, etc. When I'm trying to sell, every buyer thinks mine (with new canvas, 15 inch rims w/correct tires. good upholstery, lots of upgrades) isn't worth the scrap metal price. In 2012 I sold my '85 Weekender which I had done A LOT of work to for $5,500.00. A few months later when I started to look for another Westy, ones equal to mine were all $10K and up. I posted my disgust here. One listee was kind enough to email me and tell me I was an idiot to have sold mine so cheap, that he had never sold one for less than 10K. (If I never responded, please let me take the time now to thank this individual for taking time from his busy day to insult me) As luck would have it, the buyer of mine contacted me and told me had to sell, would I want it back for what he had paid (he had it 6 months and had driven it 300 miles. Hell yeah!! I bought it back two days later for $5,500.00. > > Jeff Stewart > > > >  _____ > > Oh, sorry. Was using my "safe for TV" judgment. > And apparently I should have said OBO as 25k seems a bit too high for some. > Apparently if you replace/upgrade nearly every part of your vanagon you can still only sell if with 4 places to the left of the decimal point. Go figure. > > Cheers, > Harry > > Cheers, > Harry > >> On Dec 26, 2013 2:22 PM, Ben <syncro@gmail.com <mailto:syncro@gmail.com> > wrote: >> >> We still frown the use of such "terms" on the List. Hurts my Vanagon's (r)ears. >> >> :-) >> >> >> BenT >> Mod >> >> (walking softly but still reading.) >> >>> On Dec 26, 2013, at 10:55 AM, Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET <mailto:hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET> > wrote: >>> >>> "...kick-*ss..." >>> >>> "... bad*ss..." > > > > > > --- > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. > http://www.avast.com/