Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Dec 2013 19:22:40 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: NEED an 2.0 ABA bottom end
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

**** How about the poster saying WHERE they need this engine. Believe it or not .. that is a factor , as odd as that might seem to many ! ! ! ****

Maybe I have one, but if he's in oh say....Bethel. Alaska, it would be useful to know. duh.

First thing that pops into my mind is the many countless times that I pointed out to someone that a shop or whomever had done bad work for them.. All they had said was.. I don't want anything to do with them anymore at all ..I am done wrangling with those guys. let's start over here.

There are lots of ways to screw up an engine rebuild...( so it could be the engine itself ) and lots of ways for amateurs and pros to screw up the engine installation and sorting out of it .. or with other systems on the vehicle needed to support the new engine.

< and then you get a cheap customer that doesn't like that his radiator is 25+ years old.....or he accusses you of scamming him there..or a technician/shop owner not very skilled at communicating .. like not a very good bedside manner....I see the storm clouds brewing now.

For that reason I would never sell rebuilt units out into the world ...'some people' are going to screw up the installation and operation of your perfectly rebuilt engine or trans....and guess who they'll blame. Ahem

I bought a rebuilt VW Bug engine from two european guys with a shop once...like in the 70's. their list of what had to be 'new and perfect' ran some 30 items.. for your warranty to be good . New air seal around the engine ..makes sense of course. thermostat system working .. ..95 % of them are disconnneted in California, and even this .. if anyone remembers the asbetos or asbestos-like little half ring gaskets that go at the base of the heat riser tube on a VW Bug engine ... those had to be new too. talk about picky !

but really ...If one supplies a perfect unit for 'whomever' to install and use .. some percentage of users will be sloppy, or idiots , or both ..maybe one out of 30. Or one out of 50. And eventually ..it's a numbers and odds game.. if you do it long enough and do over say ..12,000 customer jobs in 30 years ...eventually you might attract a real jerk and you won't see it coming.

Aren't people wonderful ! ? S.

On 12/27/2013 5:41 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > In what way is it a failure? If you had it "built" is there any warranty or > recourse? Is it possible that something outside the long block itself caused > the failure? The last question is important. Most engine "failures" begin > outside the engine itself. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Timmy Evens > Sent: Friday, December 27, 2013 8:18 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: NEED an 2.0 ABA bottom end > > Today at 6:16 PM > anyone have a healthy ABA 2.0 bottom end they'd sell and ship to me? I had > an engine built and it is turning out to be a giant dud. total failure and > waste of money. I need a good condition 2.0 bottom end if anyone has > one...... > > > HELP! >