Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Dec 2013 15:14:54 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Do waterboxers have core plugs (freeze plugs)?
Comments: To: Jeffrey Lee <jeffrey_lee_aqua@YAHOO.COM>

I have seen engine heaters that are resistance type coils that replace the oil dip stick. I have no idea how well they work, or where to get them.

Back in the day, my father used to drop a 150W lamp into the engine compartment, then cover the engine and lamp with a blanket.

I once had a Toyota Coralla that was hard to start on zero mornings. I installed an inline type heater like you described, and it worked really well.

Where are you, and how cold are you talking about?

mcneely

---- Jeffrey Lee <jeffrey_lee_aqua@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > My 83 diesel I4 has 3 core plugs, one of which I've replaced with a 120v block heater for use in cold temps, and which helps immensely. > > A friend with a waterboxer Vanagon (not sure if it's a 1.9 or 2.1L) asked if one could be installed in his engine but I don't know if these engines have core plugs. A bit of online shopping turned up nothing but inline coolant heaters which are installed waaay up near the radiator, and hot-plate-style contact heaters which must be somehow adhered to the underside of the oil pan. > > Anyone know of a simpler, more effective solution? > > Jeff

-- David McNeely