Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Dec 2013 13:19:00 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine woes - what to do?
Comments: To: Todd Last <rubatoguy@comcast.net>

Hi Todd. Swap stuff has all been said before, but some points I'd reiterate should you decide to do a swap.

- who will work on it? (work out possible swap "bugs", do regular maintenance etc.) - do you have interest and time to be involved with the swap? - do you plan on keeping the van a while? (years?)

I also have an '88. If it were me, and I wasn't keeping the van that long, I'd just repair as needed. A swap might make sense for long term. OTOH, since I have some spare 2.1 parts, and am becoming more familiar with Vanagon Digifant etc., I'd consider a rebuild IF I was certain of the builders rep.

In terms of a swap, I come from a pretty different POV; since I did all the work, and some of it is pretty custom, I am fairly "committed" to it. A good mechanic could find his way around on it but there are details (mods or custom parts I've done) he could miss. With a more straightforward swap, this would obviously be less of a potential issue.

Neil.

On 12/23/13, Todd Last <rubatoguy@comcast.net> wrote:

> What does the voice of experience say?

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej