Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Dec 2013 21:42:01 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Timing Issues
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

Disconnecting the temp 2 sensor after the engine is running causes the ECU to go into some type of default mode. This prevents the ignition timing from advancing so you can get it set. Actual RPM doesn't matter much however the idle stabilization system should still keep it close or just above the set point and it should stay running. The 2,000 to 2,500 rpm is vague but really a minimum. As the advance is disabled it shouldn't matter what RPM the engine is running at. You have to have the distributor clamp set just loose enough so you can turn it with the engine running. You can't shut off and restart the engine with the temps 2 sensor disconnected. You need to have the engine running, disconnect the sensor, adjust the timing. Then you can shut the engine off, tighten the clamp, reconnect the sensor and you should be good to go.

As for other methods of setting the timing there are some things to consider. The factory setting has emissions and reliability in mind, not ultimate performance. The ignition timing advance is also dependent on temperature and it will change. That is why it was moved into the ECU. The advance to "ping or just under method is fraught with danger. For one thing it is very difficult to hear these engines ping. For all the local testing you can do when you go on an extended trip, extended speed, AC on, etc. you will be into territory you have not tested and here come those melted pistons or thrown rods. If I recall you once had a melted piston failure, (my memory sucks so correct me). It was not due to the brand of rebuild. Something was wrong and it got cooked!

Dennis