Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Dec 2013 22:13:50 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Timing Issues
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

HI John... you could just look in the Bentley manual and do what they say there about timing. that the timing be 'spot on' at idle is not so critical.

what is critical is that it not be too advanced at idle.. which some people are tempted to do as it helps the idle ( when other things are not perfectly like they should be )..

the actual idle speed is not that important.. not to high to be 'more than needed' no too slow so that it wants to stall.

I think it may say somewhere in Bentley about disconnneting Temp Sensor II for setting timing .. fwiw.. I have timed 500 vanagons and I would never run one without that input to the ecu. It's a very, very important input.

Sorry for the 'you message' ..I daresay you are making this far, far harder and more complicated than it needs to be. Setting the timing at idle is like a 4 minute deal.

you DO need to be able to tell when other things are out of whack though. People have this misconception about igntion timing .. here are the particulars that matter... - where smog checks are concerned, it has to be barely advanced, almost retarded. The 1.9 might be 5 after TDC officially .. and they are never timed that retarded except for smog check emissions.

If it's too advanced at idle..say 10 before TDC ...there is danger of engine damage and detonation from too advanced timing at high rpm . So don't do that . Just get your timing light on there..get it close to zero or maybe 5 BTDC .

THEN ....when that is right.. and there are no air intake leaks ....and it's running strongly on all 4 cylidners.. then ...ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE IDLE SWITCH MAKES CONTACT AT ILDE !

then adjust idle rpm with the big screw on the Throttle Body. if rpm's do not change in a linear manner turning that screw ..something is off somewhere. if you have to move that screw to either extreme, in or out ..something is off somewhere.

really ..you are making this timing thing way, way harder than it is. and screw needing a tach ! dang.. this remind of cases where I talked to someone for HOURS about something about their car or vanagon .. and in *two minutes* with the car I could see and solve issues that LOTS of talking to them wouldn't accomplish.

happy whatever ! S.

sincerely, Scott

On 12/29/2013 2:26 PM, JRodgers wrote: > I need a tach to set the engine rpm for tweaking the ignition timing. > The tach in my van doesn't work - and one I bought at HF Friday night > doesn't work either!! As the Lil' Boy sez "With HF yuz pays yuz nickel > and takes yuz chances!" Fortuantely I can return this thing. > > But to my other question - if the mark on the pulley is set to the split > in the case - and the distributor finger is set to the mark on the > distributor case - how close is that to the correct timing anyway? I > know there may be some minor variations, but are those base setting in > the ballpark sufficiently to drive this thing a bit. > > Finally - it runs like crap when the Temp II is disconnected. Idles > extremely rough, barely runs, coughing and spitting. And frequently > dying. No way to get above idle RPM either. > > Thanks, > > John > > On 12/29/2013 3:41 PM, mark drillock wrote: >> What is it about a tach that you need one so desperately? >> >> Mark >> >> JRodgers wrote: >>> ..... Having trouble finding a >>> working tach and I need desperately to go shopping for one on Monday. >>> >>> John >>> >> >