Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Dec 2013 11:34:44 -0500
From:         Steve Cotsford <cotsford@AOL.COM>
Subject:      My Bluestar project.

Well clearly I have a lot more homework to do. This morning I started my van which was pretty instant, in spite of the 31 degree temp. The idle took a while to settle down and it died at first so I have some sorting to do there. Once the idle had settled down however it seemed fairly stable.

My oil pressure light is still doing strange things. It goes out instantly when the engine starts as I expect it to. However after idling for several minutes, its starts flashing on and off relatively slowly and regularly. I can rev the engine a little and the flashing continues, with no change in timing or speed. I can shut the engine down and restart and there is no light. Then after a few mins the flashing starts again, same regular slow speed. I don't think it is related to oil pressure as it does not change with engine speed. To be honest I have no idea what causes it.

I also have exhaust leaks where the pipes come together from the two sides and go into the siamesed section that joins the pipe going to the cat and muffler. I have new gaskets and bolts there so I may have to do some welding or replacement.

I also have a rattling noise on the right hand side where the power steering pump is attached. It stops if I lean on the pump a little. The bolts are all tight but I need to take stuff apart and check for looseness somewhere.

I have no connector on the coolant reservoir sensor which might explain the flashing red light in the temp gauge. I have not yet found a cable and plug for it either so I have some more work to do and some studying of the schematic.

When you buy an incomplete vehicle and have no knowledge of how it was before, it leaves you with lots of things to find out about and fix or replace. Unfortunately I know no-one in this area (NC mountains) who is knowledgeable on these vans either.

So far I have installed the engine (not original). Replaced the fuel pump and now that works. Fixed 3 non working fuel injectors, replaced two completely missing radiator hoses and the engine actually runs, the coolant circulates and the front heater works. It goes into 1st gear and reverse and moves so I have made some progress but I clearly have a long way to go. Oh well :-) .... una cosa a la volta or une chose a la fois. (one thing at a time)

Wishing everyone a really nice New Years eve and festivities :-) Steve