Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jan 2014 14:32:40 -0800
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: mini review of Ecoque grill (van camping grill/bbq)
Comments: To: Al Knoll <anasasi@gmail.com>

Central Oregon is high desert, not to be confused with the wetter (west) side of the Cascades. If you're thinking fruit orchards, ferns, redwoods, moss, and rhododendrons, that ain't here.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 01/03/2014 01:20 PM, Al Knoll wrote: > Hi Rocket, > Is pear wood suitable? Oregon pears are legendary. Our local almond > orchards usually have lots of almond wood for sale. We do have to tote > the wood rather than just forage at the site. Cabinet shops can be > a haven for hardwood and trim scraps are often for the taking, but of > course one must ask first. > Pensionerd. > Today is de-frocking day. > > > On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Rocket J Squirrel > <camping.elliott@gmail.com <mailto:camping.elliott@gmail.com>> wrote: > > Here in Central Oregon, even when it's not fire season when all open and > charcoal fires (anything that has hot coals) are banned, finding > hardwood to burn -- less smoky, more btus per stick, better-tasting food > -- is essentially impossible as the predominant trees in the forests > here are conifers. I have not camped in all the public lands in the > western U.S., but I believe that this is generally true throughout the > region. > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > Bend, Ore. > > > On 01/03/2014 09:36 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > ---- Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM > <mailto:jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>> wrote: > > RE burning wood...The point is, wood actually is a > plentiful and useful fuel and it is a wonder that more stove > systems do not > use it. > Jim > > > Wood is not always a plentiful fuel. There are restrictions on > gathering wood on a good deal of public land. If one relied on > locally gathered wood in a large portion of Big Bend National > Park, one would have to eat cold food. The same is true in many > other national parks. Fire bans are common as well, but often > allow liquid or gas fuel in appliances made for them. > > Despite the claims of manufacturers of wood burning appliances, > wood is not pollution free fuel. > > Buying fuel from vendors is also problematic. It often comes > from distant locations, resulting in transport of insect and > disease pests into new areas. I once bought some bundled > firewood at a California State Park, only to discover when I got > to my camp with it that it had a tag on it showing that it > originated in British Columbia. > > I do burn wood when in locations where it is available. > Generally I use a fire ring and burn it in the open, but I > have used some container type stoves as well. When wood is > available and there are no environmental or agricultural reasons > not to burn it, I do like to have a fire. And I like > occasionally to cook a steak over wood coals. > > McNeely > >