Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Jan 2014 22:07:05 -0500
From:         James <jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC European Travel - Cell Phones
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@busdepot.com>

As Ron says for Germany, so for Finland - except that Finland invented the modern cell phone, so there are more competitors, and price competition is ferocious, so expect lower prices, and a card that probably gives you a good deal on calling in Finland, calling back to the USA or Canada, AND dirt-cheap texting. As Ron says, though, buy a card for each country - cards that call between European countries were/are more expensive than cards that call in-country and back to North America.

In Finland, there are little tobacco/candy kiosks everywhere that sell these (try the "R-Kioski" ones), and nearly every Finn under 60 speaks good/fluent English. Tell the person behind the counter what you want (data/text/local calling/calling back to North America) and they'll suggest the best card. The last time we went, the card we got had national calling at under 3 eurocents a minute (no in-country long distance), calls back to Canada at 6 eurocents a minute, and texts at 2 eurocents each, and was good for a year. We bought the 10 euro version, which did us for three weeks.

Make sure your phone works on the European GSM frequencies, which are not the same as N.A. ones. Ours didn't the last time we went, so a German friend picked up a new Siemens cell phone for us for 25 euro.

James Ottawa, ON