Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jan 2014 12:57:49 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: oil light question
Comments: To: Steve Cotsford <cotsford@aol.com>

At 12:04 PM 1/1/2014, Steve Cotsford wrote: >So far I have not heard a buzzer sound. I may have to check. The >buzzer may be absent .

The blinking light indicates that the circuit board is present, not likely that the buzzer is missing.

> If the red light is off at 2500 rpm and does not come back on > when the engine idles back down, does this signify that oil > pressure is adequate? Thanks Steve

At the moment everything is unknown. If you want to know what your oil pressure is, put a gauge on it.

You can check electrically what the senders are doing. Once you've idled long enough for the light to start blinking, unplug the two-position connector that takes the two O/P senders into the main engine harness. Follow the wire from the after sender and you'll find it.

With it unplugged, the side sender should show open circuit to ground (more than 100 Kohms, say**). If it doesn't, you either have very low pressure or the sender diaphragm is leaking.

The after sender may show open or closed, it's not the issue here. At cold idle it should certainly be closed, at hot idle it may be open but will close as you rev the engine.

With the engine off, side sender should be grounded and after sender should be open.

With the senders unplugged I believe you should see no blink at idle, blink and buzzer above 2,000.

**When the sender is closed it should show no more than a few ohms to ground. When it's open in theory it should be many megohms. If it's failing it may not be actually closed but still have resistance low enough to trigger the alarm circuit. I don't know what the resistance threshold is for that circuit -- it ought to be less than say 100 ohms but VW seem to have a propensity for sensitive circuits that might false-trigger on a higher resistance.

Yrs, d