Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jan 2014 23:15:28 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery relocation to engine compartment
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

there's no existing engine compartment battery mounting bracket or support in waterboxer vanagons, though installing the battery sideways behind the right tail light is easy .. building a small extension area .. even with hardware store metal brackts and drilling and nuts and bolts ( no welding ) is easy .. like you'd only need a hack saw and drill.

I think a stock vanagon battery will fit in there ..sideways. I use a '48' battery for all vanagons .as that's a diesel vanagon battery with more cold cranking amps than what some waterboxer vanagons call for. Won't harm at all to remove that 'air wall' between tail light area and engine compartment... air can flow through there just fine.

slight help with rear traction yes... small penalty in handling dynamics by adding weight at either end. The affect of that is minor though,, and many people don't recognize that vanagons are really 'sports vans' given their suspension type. and set up right .. they do not have to be understeering pigs at all.

and since 2WD vanagons weight more on the front axle than the rear.. ( and even more so in my experience when lots of weight is put in the middle of the van..) like hauling stuff around.. two batteries in front is not good .. and battery weight added to the rear is good. ..

And in that big empty area above and alongside the trans would be really nice.. just a lot of fabrication work. I've never seen that done.. but I always wanted to use that wasted space there.

Scott

On 12/31/2013 2:52 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > Space (height) is limited. The Diesels have room on the right side near the engine. In front of the taillights is possible but the air intake on the right is also a problem. > > Dennis, > >From my phone. > ________________________________ > From: Todd Last<mailto:rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET> > Sent: ‎12/‎31/‎2013 5:21 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Subject: Battery relocation to engine compartment > > I was considering relocating the battery to the engine compartment for more space up front, and more traction in back. I know the diesel models had the battery placed in the traditional VW bus location (Right rear.) Could anyone who has done this let me know what is involved along with any hints and tips? Do you have to make your own mounts, or are they already there to use? > > Thanks! > > Todd > '88 Westy >