Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jan 2014 08:27:10 -0600
From:         Julia Schrenkler <juliaschrenkler@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Kicking off the 2013 Alaska Trip report: Departure

Our friends are right, it's about time for the trip report. We took 2.5 months off last year to travel from Minneapolis, Minnesota to wander northern California, Oregon, Washington, back east to catch the Kootenays, Banff, the Icefields Parkway and the Alcan. Then after fishing, hiking, and surviving mosquitos in the north, we wandered back.

I'll be posting memories and photos to our currently-under-REconstruction site http://wanderwagen.com and will email links & text each Friday to this wonderful list.

Happy Friday, all.

-Julia

Update 1 focuses on the departure. Lesson: Don't wait for perfection.

May 11, 2013

Nothing was perfect.

Our van, the ’89 VW Vanagon Westfalia Camper, was in top running condition thanks to my Uncle Paul who also happens to be an exceptional mechanic. The vehicle was spic, span, and ready to camp because over the years we installed the most livable camper mods like an awning, a vented furnace and a larger refrigerator that actually chills.

My beloved organization granted me a two and a half month leave of absence from my dream job of 11 years, and I’d documented, trained and otherwise prepped for walking out the door without worry.

The promising project house we just purchased was in a welcoming state, if you walked through the front door and found the living room ready for company.

But nothing was perfect. Our trip pack job on the van was hurried at best, with us actually skipping the list and tossing in weird stuff but hoping we included the can opener. While I wasn’t compelled to check in on my work email and had a delicious start-of-summer-vacation feeling, the back of my mind worked at the worryknot of what I’d return to at the office in the coming months. Our new home was actually a badly organized dumping ground for our just-moved life in boxes except for the things we were packing (and the serviceable living room). Then surprise! The car radio installed earlier in the week had an unexpected and stupid-on-my-part untested side effect of making everything on the aux battery rely on a key in the ignition. Sort of a drag considering we’d be leaving the camper for hours and would like the fridge or furnace running and this meant another errand run to the installer on a half-staffed Saturday morning. Luckily our friend Kurt was around to send us off and went with me to keep my mind focused on important things, like how to make the radio display disco colors.

At one point we seemed to just stand around. We looked at the mess of it all with our five month old puppy tearing about the middle of this jumble, and wondered how we were going to get to a point we could actually leave.

Nothing was perfect.

We didn’t let that stop us. After all, we saved for this trip for years, prepped our boring adult paperwork, and the 2 1/2 month timer ticked…so we put the van into gear and headed south.

Just one picture taken right before turning the key. From left to right: Cindy in passenger seat, our german shorthaired pointer Wren in the back seat, me in the driver seat and stretching to take the pic: http://bit.ly/KmXZuH