Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Jan 2014 08:55:52 -0800
From:         MICHAEL H <vwdash80@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: small coolant hose replacement tips needed

thanks, Tony. I was going on memory at the time because it was raining pretty hard and I didn't have my Bentley handy. the tube Eric asked about came to mind because mine needs replacing too. it's probably been there since factory - thread wrapped - yet still on the job ! soooo, while we're on the subject ... what is the function of this hose? it's too small to be a bypass. is it a seasonal application for heat distribution to the rear cabin radiator? I've been hoping for someone to bring this up. thanks, Eric and respondents of course.       mike  ________________________________ From: TonyCollin <tonycollin@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:12 AM Subject: Re: small coolant hose replacement tips needed I'm going to side with mike here. I read it the same way and having had dealings with this section of the 1.9 WBX cooling system I would think that it is doable by feel. The hose sits attached to the metal cross pipe atop the engine more left than right. A small hose travels front to the firewall and attaches to the a plastic contraction that has a bleeder valve on top of the  connecting nipple for said hose. This is a two clamp deal with only one hose. If air into the system is a worried (which people have told me not) then some strategic clamping and sequencing could be use to do this in order and still doing it by feel. Eric, I hope that helps! T. On Jan 12, 2014, at 12:05 AM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM> wrote: Mike, I think you are talking about the 2.1 cooling system, not the 1.9.  Stuart -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of MICHAEL H Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:16 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: small coolant hose replacement tips needed Eric - if  I'm reading this correctly, you're asking about a piece of tubing from the top coolant crossover pipe to a plastic fitting that connects the main coolant lines  to and from the radiator at the firewall. the plastic fitting includes a valve related to the distribution system. since you can find it by feel, you can replace it by hand. I, for one would like to be a fly on the wall of the shop when you do this in front of whomever was supposed to do this proper the first time. if you practice a few times at home, with visual back up ... okay, that looks mean after I've typed it but, think of the entertainment value over the insult. it shouldn't cost too much coolant for a quick switch out if you decide to be done with it and not risk the relationship at the shop. hope this helps - keep us posted - take care, be well and keep your stick on the ice.            mike ________________________________ From: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:38 PM Subject: small coolant hose replacement tips needed Hi listers,         I recently got my van back from a extended mechanical tuneup.  So far I'm a bit concerned that the job may not have been done as well as I hoped.  One of my  requested repairs was missed completely.          Denis Haynes had recommended that the small coolant hose on the top left corner of my 1.9 engine be replaced as it was actually fuel line and not coolant hose. This is about a 5 inch long small diameter hose that you can reach easily.  Taking off the engine compartment lid it is right there on the top at the left corner coming off a metal pipe and connected to a plastic part headed toward the front of the van.  Instead of changing this they changed the hose from the expansion tank to the over fill tank.  I guess my directions were not as clear as I thought.  I didn't mind them changing that hose but it would have been nice if they had placed the hose completely on the expansion tank nipple rather then barely on. And remembering  to put the hose clamp back on would have been a plus. My question is would it be a fairly straight forward task for  me to replace this hose?  I still have plenty of replacement hose purchased from the Bus Depot.  I would certainly introduce some air into the system and I have kno idea what happens when I remove that hose!  I don't want coolant spraying all over or something crazy like that. I was happy to leave these tasks to the mechanic but at this point I would almost prefer to take the risk of doing it myself. That is with list support! tips and  suggestions greatly appreciated. Eric Caron 85 GL Auto