Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Jan 2014 09:47:10 -0800
From:         Tom Carchrae <tom@CARCHRAE.NET>
Subject:      Re: small coolant hose replacement tips needed
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@comcast.net>

If the hose is at the top of the engine, you could probably part the van pointing nose down (a little slope - just enough to put the top of the radiator below the engine) and get away with changing it without much coolant loss.

However, I think the plastic part it is connected to is the bleeder valve: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1629_221/connectorsjunctions-plastic.html and these are notoriously brittle after 30 years. I'm surprised to see the plastic one back in stock - I had to replace mine with an aluminium one that cost nearly $200.

So, if you do replace the hose, be careful with the plastic parts. The bleeder screw especially.

If this were me, I would probably leave the hose as-is. If you were going to replace all the coolant hoses/pipes, sure, go for it, but I don't think I would go at it unless it was causing a problem. But Denis knows more than me about these things - so now I'm wondering why using gas line would be bad?

Tom