Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jan 2014 02:49:03 -0800
From:         "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speedo needle sits still sometimes
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

generally ..if the speed limit is X ..you can go 5 mph over 'indicated' safely.

( if anyone relates to aircraft ...airspeed and a ground speed are too entirely different thing. . It's even calledd IAS ..indicated air speed. Same is true for a car speedometer .it's 'indicated' speed, not actual true road speed . )

fwiw .............. I have had a radar speed trap cop tell me 'we ticket at 9 mph over' .

that's pretty fair. so ...for example..I got stopped going too fast in a 25 zone.. and it IS HARD TO GO only 25 mph , especially going downhill !!!

I said to the officier, " when i saw you ( with radar on ) i had my speed at 37 mph . " ( my speedo was showing 40 mph when I saw him , obviously shooting radar at me. )

he said..that's what i had you at on radar, 37 mph.

since I knew what i was doing, and wasn't impaired ..he let me go. it helps a LOT if you know, in advance what lights are not working , for example. or what your exact speed is.

roughly ..about 60 % of vanagons have a license plate or rear side marking light not working. People don't even check that stuff, and cops just love to have a reason to pull you over. It's a rare day when I see a vanago with ALL external running lights working.

'cause then they can see if you're impaired.. if your insurance and license are legit etc.

sdf

On 1/13/2014 7:11 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > GPS is great, but geezers like me need the big dial gauge. There is nothing > like large, well-lighted analog instruments for quick glance feedback no > matter how old your eyes are. I'm not trying Scott's "just lube it" idea, > I've tried that on my Smiths MGB speedos in the past, and that's why I now > use a pro. (Link works BTW: www.overseas-speedometer.com) > > It's good brain exercise though to do the math on your speedo error when a > cop is following you. Mine has about a 10% high error, thanks to VDO's > laziness. 35mph X 90% = 31.5mph. Oops, I'm speeding in a 30 mph zone. > School zones are 20 mph, so I go 20mph clock speed (18mph actual) since > there is a $189 ticket for 21+ mph. Some school zones are photo enforced > around here: > http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019670843_speedcameras13m.html > > Just a tip to visitors! > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Rocket J Squirrel > Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 3:35 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Speedo needle sits still sometimes > > Cycle computers are pretty tough for 60+ year-old eyes to see while > driving, and pretty useless at night. I have a GPS onboard, but it's > more distracting than the old speedo dial. > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > Bend, Ore. > > On 01/13/2014 03:12 PM, Don Hanson wrote: >> Me, I would not send off for a pricey rebuilt. I'll switch to some gps >> system if this one goes completely flat-line. Or even a cycle >> computer....good accurate ones with more functions are under $25 and don't >> require messing around in the Pod. >> >> I thought there might be a Trick... >>