Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:28:33 -0600
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speedo needle sits still sometimes
Comments: To: "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Scott,

Back in the day of mechanical office machines - my Dad used to sell adding machines. Once in a while when the deal was right he would take in on trade an adding machine that no longer worked right or at all. He was not an adding machine mechanic, but he tinkered with them enough that he came to realize that by simply flushing them thoroughly with mineral spirits two or three times, it was sufficient to restore 99 % of them to proper operation without any further adjustment. The mineral spirits, while being a solvent on the one hand and removing all kinds of gum and gunk - was also a very fine oil - which is what the mechanical adding machines needed after cleaning. He was fastidious - each got three flushes - and each succeeding flush was with mineral spirits cleaner than the one before. The final flush was the lubricating flush.

When I went to aircraft mechanic school - lubrication with the proper fluids what hammered into us there. I've never forgotten. Later I went to school on the Garrett/Air-Research turbine engines - and again lubrication was everything. Even the fuel itself - a jet fuel that was in reality Arctic Diesel - a very fine grade of oil - served also to lubricate internal parts.

You are right. The right fluids in the right place at the right time can do much to prevent excess wear, malfunctions and breakdowns.

John

On 1/14/2014 3:59 AM, SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss ) wrote: > we always assume the speedo reads about 5 mph high, right ? > it's built in, on purpose. > > I do encourage people to really LOOK ..examime carefully ..even on a > molecular level if you can .. > 'some things' respond amazingly to the right fluid. > > it is ALL about 'the fluids' btw ..in my perception. > fluids.. > fluids keep the metal parts from touching each other. > fluids ..transmit heat away from compoenents... > 'fluids' are critical to the successful operation of many mechanisms. > > of course that is transcended in computer stuff ..even in plastics > somewhat.. > but for good old fashioned mechanisms...it's the fluids baby. > > in fact..if the fluids where change enough ..consider a total loss > engine oil sump system ..oil passes through the engine one time only > .imagine how long that engine would last with 'only' fresh oil in it ever. > > and there have been been total loss oil systems...namely 500 cc single > cylinder speedway racing motorcyles of the 70's and 80's. > > "it's all about the Fluids' > at least pre-computer and pre-plastic , until those start to dominate > technology. > These are 80's era machines after all, > these van-a-gons. > > sdf > > On 1/13/2014 7:25 PM, dhanson928@gmail.com wrote: >> No Geezer disrespect (Im old too) but if you have issues seeing >> perhaps new glasses are in order. Cheap in Mexico..good excuse for a >> road trip. >> >> Sent from my HTC smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint! >> >> ----- Reply message ----- >> From: "Stuart MacMillan" <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM> >> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >> Subject: Speedo needle sits still sometimes >> Date: Mon, Jan 13, 2014 7:11 pm >> >> >> GPS is great, but geezers like me need the big dial gauge. There is >> nothing >> like large, well-lighted analog instruments for quick glance feedback no >> matter how old your eyes are. I'm not trying Scott's "just lube it" >> idea, >> I've tried that on my Smiths MGB speedos in the past, and that's why I >> now >> use a pro. (Link works BTW: www.overseas-speedometer.com) >> >> It's good brain exercise though to do the math on your speedo error >> when a >> cop is following you. Mine has about a 10% high error, thanks to VDO's >> laziness. 35mph X 90% = 31.5mph. Oops, I'm speeding in a 30 mph zone. >> School zones are 20 mph, so I go 20mph clock speed (18mph actual) since >> there is a $189 ticket for 21+ mph. Some school zones are photo enforced >> around here: >> http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019670843_speedcameras13m.html >> >> Just a tip to visitors! >> >> Stuart >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >> Behalf Of >> Rocket J Squirrel >> Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 3:35 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Speedo needle sits still sometimes >> >> Cycle computers are pretty tough for 60+ year-old eyes to see while >> driving, and pretty useless at night. I have a GPS onboard, but it's >> more distracting than the old speedo dial. >> >> -- >> Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott >> 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, >> Bend, Ore. >> >> On 01/13/2014 03:12 PM, Don Hanson wrote: >>> Me, I would not send off for a pricey rebuilt. I'll switch to some gps >>> system if this one goes completely flat-line. Or even a cycle >>> computer....good accurate ones with more functions are under $25 and >>> don't >>> require messing around in the Pod. >>> >>> I thought there might be a Trick... >>> >