Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jan 2014 14:56:59 -0800
From:         Dick Wong <sailingfc@DSLEXTREME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speedo needle sits still sometimes
Comments: cc: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

I run an Android app called Speedview. It has an viewing option call "HUD view". Once set, you place your phone on the dash and the image is reflected on the windshield. Works great at night, not so much during the day.

-Dick Wong- 78 Scirocco Original Owner 87 Vanagon Syncro 2.5 (slightly crispy) Third Owner 12 Golf TDI Original Co-Owner

On longer trips I generally have my iPhone in a cradle right above the steering wheel, and run a speedometer app (shows a big dial, just like the real thing). But because the thing is always on it discharges the battery pretty quickly so I keep it plugged into the cigar lighter outlet. The dangling cord, the iPhone in front of me -- I'm driving thinking, jeepers, I wish this vehicle's speedo was more accurate.

The speedo in my wife's Subaru runs about 3 mph fast. Easy to do the arithmatic. But I am less-capable of doing 6 mph + 5% in my head very quickly.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 01/14/2014 01:59 AM, SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss ) wrote: > we always assume the speedo reads about 5 mph high, right ? > it's built in, on purpose. > > I do encourage people to really LOOK ..examime carefully ..even on a > molecular level if you can .. > 'some things' respond amazingly to the right fluid. > > it is ALL about 'the fluids' btw ..in my perception. > fluids.. > fluids keep the metal parts from touching each other. > fluids ..transmit heat away from compoenents... > 'fluids' are critical to the successful operation of many mechanisms. > > of course that is transcended in computer stuff ..even in plastics > somewhat.. > but for good old fashioned mechanisms...it's the fluids baby. > > in fact..if the fluids where change enough ..consider a total loss > engine oil sump system ..oil passes through the engine one time only > .imagine how long that engine would last with 'only' fresh oil in it ever. > > and there have been been total loss oil systems...namely 500 cc single