Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Jan 2014 00:44:36 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ongoing "Honk" as diesel style starter engages
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

You have a bad "bendix" on the starter drive or the starter is not releasing as fast as it should. That is the one way clutch that drives the gear itself. As the engine starts it allows the gear to be driven by the flywheel without spinning the starter motor with it. They can go like this for a long long time. When it dose fail you may get to replace the flywheel ring gear.

Dennis