Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:41:08 -0800
From:         David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power steering leak near reservoir
Comments: To: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>

Thanks for the suggestions. I cannot see underneath the reservoir. I'd like to remove it to get a good look at it. How does it come off? Bentley gives NO information, not even on the hoses. I suspect the short hose from the reservoir bottom to the pump. How does that hose come off at the pump end? Again no info in Bentley. The reservoir level went way down while the van was sitting so it looks like a slow seepage from somewhere at the bottom. On Saturday, January 18, 2014 2:53 PM, Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM> wrote: dear leaks suppling information over the internet with out pics is hard but lets try - 1. Ensure reservoir is full 2. Shut off running motor 3. wipe all hoses - cylinder control arm and the pump clean - AND I MEAN CLEAN _ 4. restart motor - watch reservoir from underneath and above while accomplice turns steering wheel slowly to right and left 5. OBSERVE here is what you may see - A. the leak is not a leak at all but spillage from overfill B. The pump reservoir body is cracked (very unlikely but entirely possible ) C. one of the hoses is leaking - there should be a pressure line and a return line - one or both may be failing due to age or improper adjustment at time of install or inspections d. The control arm cylinder is leaking at the seal where the rod travels in and out of the cylinder - (slight chance but possible) e. The fitting of the pressure line is compromised - and to remedy you need to remove the hose - take it to  a local hydraulic fitting and repair shop they will cut off your fittings and replace hose inbetween - re krimp and you reinstall Other option - take to local repair shop and they will do all these steps in order for you and you simply pay - likely 200$ if parts are required - good luck and good vwuin regards On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Steve Cotsford <cotsford@aol.com> wrote: > Yes I agree.  Discretion is the better part of valour.    In any situation > a thorough inspection is required, especially with older vehicles where > material degradation is possible, even likely.  Sometimes you can get > lucky however and small solutions do not need to be overlooked.    Steve > > On Jan 18, 2014, at 4:27 PM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> > wrote: > > > I just had one that was a cracked reservoir. > > > > Dennis, > > From my phone. > > ________________________________ > > From: David M<mailto:covrambles@YAHOO.COM> > > Sent: 1/18/2014 3:34 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Subject: Power steering leak near reservoir > > > > I have a pretty serious power steering leak from somewhere near the > reservoir. Does anyone know what leaks here and how to fix it? Is it > possible to replace the weird VW part rubber/part metal hoses with some > standard parts that wont cost an arm and a leg. I could not find anything > on the Bus Depot website since they don't have a power steering parts > category, I need to get this fixed as quickly as possible. > > > > > > David (1987 Wolfsburg) > -- roger whittaker 604.414.6266 ---------------------------------------------------------- http://www.tvthatworks.com http://www.tvpowellriver.com Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://www.youtube.com/user/LastonLastof#g/u http://vimeo.com/42309497 http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/11/29/multimedia/video/doc4c62e5f80d228504902172.txt