Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jan 2014 00:59:16 -0800
From:         "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: White smoke when cold
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

except for the air-cooled versus the water cooled part, otherwise...... having your wits about you, about what you are doing really, totally applies ! On 1/19/2014 10:04 PM, JRodgers wrote: > Michael, > > I'm an old pilot and aircraft mechanic. The only bloody vehicle on the > road that approximates the things Pilots and mechanics put up with on > an airplane is a Vanagon! > > Pliot/mechanic preflight checklist - check the oil, check the tires, > check all hatches, doors and access panels secured, Flight controls > check, baggage secure, seat belts on, clear the area, engage starter, > check toe brakes, release park brake blah, blah, blah! > > Vanagon Pre-drive Checklist - Check the tires, no obstructions > underneath (neighbors cat, Johnnies puppy) check the coolant level, > check the oil, Doors and hatches closed and locked, baggage secure, seat > belts on, ignition on - check warning lights, ignition start - check > gauges for correct start up readings, Brake pedal action check, foot on > brake, clutch in, shift to start gear, clear the area, release park > brake, Blah, Blah, Blah...... > > The similarities are astonishing. > > John > > On 1/19/2014 9:28 PM, MICHAEL H wrote: >> Alain, thanks for bringing this up. I meant to question this >> occurrence last year. my `85 1.9 has 'the vapors' below 40F. faintly >> grey/blue white *smoke* that dissipates quickly in the air. it only >> last about 2-3 minutes after initial ignition and has no tell-tale, >> indicative odor(s). 'Vanagons use coolant' without obvious leakage, >> the overflow tank takes a month to drop about a half of an inch. I >> suspect low volumes of steam escape via the vents on the top, back of >> the tank. Scott belayed my fears of maladies (repeatedly, previously) >> suggested by Dennis (see below) so, I've come to accept this as the >> nature of the beast in winter. mine is a daily driver exxcept that I >> don't actually have to drive every day. mike >> >> >> ________________________________ >> From: Alain Thibault <alainthibault@TELUS.NET> >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:27 PM >> Subject: Re: White smoke when cold >> >> >> Allo all >> Thanks to all for your explanations and patience. I checked the >> expansion tank today while the engine was running. I had opened the >> expansion tank prior to start the van (not the one behind the >> licence plate) and it was full. Nothing budge before and after >> running the van. The only bubbling I saw was at the top hose >> location because when I remove the cap, some coolant leaked as it >> was completely full and I may have allow some air to be introduced in >> the tank (does it make sense). Anyway, no white smoke today other >> than the condensation (second start in 2 days...maybe that is why) . >> The white smoke seem to be happening mostly when I start the van >> after 5-6 days without running. Maybe I should start the van more often. >> Voilà >> >> Alain >> >> Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open... >> >> The bubbling stopped within 1 minute... had I guess but it >> stopped.Nothing from the lower hose >> >> >> Le 19 janv. 2014 à 10:54, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> a >> écrit : >> >>> I know others have already commented. Are you seeing smoke or "water >>> vapor"? >>> Water vapor is a normal part of the combustion process. It is more >>> visible >>> on a cold engine as it will condense in the exhaust and become >>> apparent as >>> the exhaust heats up to drive it out. Water can actually puddle in the >>> muffler and if hollow, the catalytic converter shell as well. When >>> you drive >>> it, are you driving it far enough to actually get everything warm >>> enough to >>> drive the moisture out? Just getting the coolant up to temp does not >>> qualify. Are you driving it because you need to or do you think you >>> have to? >>> Weekly short cycles can be worse than just letting it sit. For short >>> runs >>> the oil will also hold some water and this will pass the rings and >>> also add >>> to the vapor cloud. >>> >>> Combustion chamber, head gaskets, and even cracked heads in the exhaust >>> ports are all possibilities. Careful coolant monitoring and oil >>> analysis >>> will help determine if there is a problem or not. >>> >>> Dennis >>> >>> >>> -----Original Message----- >>> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >>> Behalf Of >>> Alain Thibault >>> Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:11 PM >>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>> Subject: White smoke when cold >>> >>> Allo all >>> My van sits in the garage for most of the week and I drive it only >>> once a >>> week. When I start it, there is a lot of white smoke...I mean a lot of >>> smoke. Alter 10-15 minutes, when the engine has reached normal >>> temperature, >>> there is no more smoke. I know that it is normal that there is smoke >>> when >>> the engine is cold but that much, I have rarely seen it. Being >>> fairly new to >>> the Vanagon world, I wonder it this is normal? I would appreciate >>> any of >>> your thoughts on the subject. I don't know if it is related to that, >>> but >>> when the engine has reached normal temperature, it will need 2-3 cranks >>> before the engine starts again... >>> Thanks >>> Alain >>> 1986 Westfalia >>> >>> Sent from my iPad 2 >>> >> >