Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:56:07 -0800
From:         Ben <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      bURNINGvAN 2014 pictures
Comments: To: "Syncro@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro@yahoogroups.com>
Comments: cc: Larry Steffen <larry@stratofex.com>,
          "diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com" <diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com>

Larry,

As Mike has pointed out, those are body styles available in mother markets except the US. There were at least 3 VW crewcabs there. They are called Doublecab (Doppelkabine or Doka for short in German). The bodies are significantly different from the van version once you get past the front door. VW stopped importing Dokas and Singlecabs once the US started imposing the so called "chicken tax" on utility vehicle imports. You can google that for further details. It's been discussed on the List before.

The particular Doka you are referring to belongs to Seth in Santa Barbara. It's a hunter's special called a Jadgwagen. There was a freshly painted 4-door version there too called a Tristar. Plus there's my Syncro 16" Doka which has had a 4th door added.

Now there are a few nice looking crewcab conversions out there. But unless you are a talented fabricator, your money is better spent buying one already done from Europe. Besides the practical aspect, a factory original Doka would likely be a better investment as they hold their value better than one cobbled together from a Vanagon body.

Regards,

BenT sent from my electronic leash