Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jan 2014 21:22:39 -0800
From:         Richard Duvernay <richard.duvernay@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Clam shell question
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

For the past year plus I've been running General Altimax RT 215 70 R15  and I have been very happy with the ride, handling and wear.  For the time being, that tire can be delivered through online ordering to any Walmart.  I tried to modify the clam shell to accommodate an equivalent spare, with no success.  Bought the  Van Cafe oversize bracket and minus some air pressure in the spare, it fits fine there and I am happy with that situation, and  a small DC powered air pump under the rear bench seat just in case I need to inflate.   ________________________________ From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:38 PM Subject: Re: Clam shell question Just a few notes on that tire. At that size the load index is still only 97. It really is adequate but not a huge reserve. It is a tall tire at almost 27 inches. Braking will be affected. In the event of a tire failure you will also have a large wheel drop due to the tire size. This causes an incredible upset if the failure occurs up front. While the tread looks open this is an "all terrain" tire. It is not a winter tire and while OK on deep powder snow it is not great in shallow mush or anything icy. Honestly this tire sucks in rain and as it wears it can become somewhat noisy.  On the front this tire will cup horribly so plan to rotate frequently. They often get replaced when they sound like bad wheel bearings. Dennis ----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of ralph meyermann Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 12:47 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Clam shell question Ive decided with the 205/75/15 General Grabber 2 and some minor alterations to clamshell. Velma 82 1.9L AAZ td westy On Jan 10, 2014 12:36 PM, "Dennis Haynes" <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > Try as you may you just can't plan for any tire failure scenario and > always have a matched set. Any tire purchased may not be available for > a replacement in the future. Tire designs are always changing and > there is always the possibility of multiple failures. So get your set > of 4 tires mounted on the wheels and do what is needed to get that > spare underneath and enjoy. I usually rotate the 5th tire on the right > side as the right front seems to get the most wear. I am a bit old > fashioned in the regard that I try not to change a tires rotation > direction. I know the tire companies say it is OK to switch sides now > but I still see tread separations and other failures. Tires are a > consumable, and they can get damaged and they do age. > They can also be replaced in pairs. The spare can be to just get you > to a repair option or a direct fit. Many vehicles now don't even come > with spares. Use your tires. Damage one, use the spare. When needed > then consider other options. Just not worth losing much sleep over > them. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > Behalf Of Eric Caron > Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:15 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Clam shell question > > Hi tony and others, > >        My lack of knowledge about tires is becoming more clear to me > as this thread continues. > >        I wanted the extra rim in case I need to keep my spare as a > 185 R > 14 > to fit in my clam Shell.  I baught 5 new tires thinking I could rotate > them easier by putting the spare into the rotation. I also bought the > 5th tire thinking that if the general ultimax became hard to find I > might be in trouble if one of my four was damaged and I could not get > a replacement.  I thought of it as a little insurance.  It would be > easiest to just let my 9 year old tires go completely but not if I > can't fit one of the new ones as a spare. > So, I thought i would need a extra rim if I keep the old 185 r 14 as a > spare and rotate my other 5 on a regular bases. > > It sounds like my rotation idea may be a bust. > > More info on this would be appreciated. > Also,Max,  I read on a earlier post that the smaller hoses may still > be available from van cafe but I wanted to get as much info from the > list before calling them for my next order. > > > > Eric Caron > 85 GL Auto > > On Jan 9, 2014, at 9:32 PM, TonyCollin <tonycollin@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > Max > > > > You may be surprised how much bigger they are? Is that what you meant? > > > > Eric why so you need another steel wheel? Do you not have a steel > > wheel > on > the spare already? If so I would have you best from your old tires > mounted as a spare. > > > > I think that the generals altimax rt are directional meaning only > > front > to > back rotation can occur on either side. Or may I'm confused about that. > > > > T. > > > > On Jan 9, 2014, at 9:20 PM, Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET> > wrote: > > > >> On 1/9/2014 4:21 PM, Eric Caron wrote: > >> Hi Denis and others, > >> > >>        I've been watching this thread carefully,  I purchased 5 > >> General > Ultimax 205/70/14 tires but have not mounted them yet.  If i'm reading > the thread correctly my 85 Westfalia with steel wheels will not be > able to carry the 205/70/14 in the spare area. > >>        Am I understanding correctly that I basically have the > >> option of > purchasing a different clam shell and coolant hoses from Van Cafe, or > keeping one of my 9 year old 185 tires as a spare? > >> > >> Do I have to both get a new clam shel and new hoses or just one or > >> the > other? > >> > >> is it really ok to run the 185 as a spare with the three 205 tires? > >> > >> Any one know where I can get a respectable 14 inch rim as If I keep > >> the > 185 as a spare I'll need a extra rim. > >> > >> Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. > >> > >> Eric Caron > >> 85 GL Auto > >> > >> > >>> On Jan 9, 2014, at 1:30 AM, Dennis Haynes > >>> <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> > wrote: > >>> > >>> Since it is a 2wd you really can get by with a different sized > >>> spare. The > >>> 215/75 gets you close to 28" diameter. Potential for front tire > >>> rub and definitely brake upgrade consideration. The 215 width is > >>> about the limit for the spare carrier even after the late tray, no > >>> hold downs. For highway travel a 225/60-16 (~26.5") would be a > >>> much better choice with a 195/80-14 spare. > >>> > >>> Dennis > >>> > >>> > >>> -----Original Message----- > >>> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > >>> Behalf Of ralph meyermann > >>> Sent: Sunday, January 5, 2014 1:38 PM > >>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >>> Subject: Clam shell question > >>> > >>> Hi Volks! I am making the step to 15" wheels. My size decision is > >>> between > >>> 205/75/15 or 215/75/15 depending on the ability to still fit in > >>> clamshell without modification or just minor modification. Will > >>> the 215 > fit? Thanks!! > >>> Velma 82 1.9L AAZ td westy > > The last time I checked, VW didn't make the "standard" coolant hoses > > for the small spare tire up front any more.  Only the larger hoses were > > available and that was several years ago.  I'd check the diameter of th > > e205 vs. the 185, you might be surprised..... > > > > DM&FS >