Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:02:44 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Volksiebus - 88 Transporter - Rough Running Engine

Look out, Scott's on the scene! I work with a young guy who often tells me what he thinks is wrong with a particular person's computer. I ask him what diagnostics he did to draw that conclusion. None. Ever. It takes many years of experience to be able to accurately diagnose a problem by someone's description, but then the diagnosis is only as good as the description you're given, so it's almost always a bad idea.

In this case, given the many, many discussions about idle problems on this list, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to disconnect the O2 sensor to see if it runs differently.

Regarding the ideas about a bad spark plug wire or injector, if your van is running on only three cylinders, it tends to be pretty obvious over a little time. A hill you would normally climb at 45, you'll be doing at 25-35, if you're lucky. Your gas mileage will drop significantly; mine dropped from 18 to 13 when this happened to me.

The first question I ask my clients when I arrive on the scene is "What changed?" It's not often the case that things spontaneously stop working, though that holds up less in Vanagon world. People almost always say something like "Nothing. I was just doing such and such when . . ." So, John, get gas recently? Has it rained a lot in your area? Has there been a significant change in the weather at all? Change any fluids recently? Rhetorical questions really, but not a bad place to start . . .

Good luck! Marc P.