Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Jan 2014 21:08:19 -0800
From:         "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Soliciting VW Engine Recommendations
Comments: To: C B <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM>

Why do I almost never use brakes at all ? Mine just do not wear out. I drive well within the ability of the rig, even on long descents. Never had a problem in 200,000 miles of serious vanagon adventures.

towing a trailer with a load ..sure, then 'more' better brakes help a lot.

Keep in mind that if your overall tire/wheel diamieter is larger.. then the brakes don't have the leverage they originally did.

Bigger wheels/tires don't really help 'that much' ..sure ..handling crispness is improved.. but then ...larger diameter wheels/tires . then you need bigger brakes to make up for you loss of braking power from the taller wheels and tires.

Can you imagine how much I tear my hair out to see someone with fancy wheels and tires added.. perhaps many hundreds of dollars worth .. and yet the nut holding the steering wheel on is quite loose ..and niether the tire people or the driver/operator noticed.. until it gets to me .. and then I fix it for free. I saw such things hundreds and hundreds of times per year on vanagons when I worked on them full time.

people don't notice details like a loose steering wheel ????

sorry to go on ..it's one thing if the owner/operator doesn't notice it ..like if they are not trying to be the tech for the rig.. but the people who installed those wheels and tires .how can they not notice a very loose steering wheel?????

Some front brake kits don't follow the standard conversions of brake installations standards even. Most are all right .. but I've sure never needed to spend 700 or so on bigger front brakes.

I have to say a lot of people don't anticipate very well at all when driving. A MAJOR cause of accidents. your attention should be like 1,000 feet out in front of you ...., Maybe that's why my brakes don't wear at all basically.

$ 3,000 is a fair amount to work with if you are dong the work yourself basically.

sincerely, S.

On 1/21/2014 8:37 PM, C B wrote: > Hi Scott (and other generous folks)! > > The total re-do budget is about $3k over two engines; we are assuming I do > the majority of the mechanical labor, as I all ready do. Welding and some > parts fabrication will have to be done by a pro. We just don't have the > cash for re-doing the entire fuel system and a matching transmission for a > diesel/SVO conversion. > Part of the outlay will be 15" front brakes, which will definitely be > necessary with more HP and higher speeds. With the 15x7.5 Audi rims and > modern tires, the front brakes frequently squeal and don't controllably > bind due to tire grip. After new pads, machined discs, all new fluid and > bleeding, we had them looked at/road tested by Wolfsburg Automotive in > Seattle and they confirm the wimpy brakes issue. But hey, we have awesome > tires no matter the road conditions. > > Scott, of course, knows Cunegonde and how she is typically used, very well. > The transmission is still working flawlessly, if continuing slightly whiney. > > We'll see how her "new" 2.1l transports and is maintained compared to the > 45k miles 1.9l she came with. I was regularly getting 19-21 MPG at 60mph, > but only 35-45 MPH uphill/3rd gear with any load whatsoever. Lack of range, > even with rooftop gas cans, produces annoying worries during many of our > back country trips. > > > -- > Bretts > > 1983 1.9l WBX Ivory Westfalia "Cunegonde" >